SeaLife ReefMaster Mini (Again!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krbailey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife bought me a SeaLife ReefMaster Mini for Valentines Day (she knows the way to my heart!). It's the first underwater camera I've owned and I'd like to know if it is worth getting the strobe light or should I save my sheckels towards the purchase of a better camera? I will be going to Cozumel in April and I'd like to have some decent pictures to document my first trip there. I've read the other posts on this camera and the opinions seem to vary.

Please factor in my "noobness" (less that 25 dives).

All input is greatly appreciated.

Diving with a camera will add new dimensions to a noob diver. The first time I added a strobe and arm to my camera, I remember a couple of surprises. The first was the descent. I needed a free hand to clear my ears and the other to operate the inflator valve. Needless to say, have some way to tie it off to a Dring. The 2nd was air consumption. I use about 10% more air carrying a camera with strobes.
As for pictures, if you can get a WA lens and a strobe, I'd recommend it for Cozumel. Getting close with the current isn't always easy. I'd definitely make your decision soon and practice in the pool in full dive gear before jumping off a boat in Coz.

cheers,
Gary

When I was in Coz a very new diver had a Mini. It took some really nice pics, and is small enough that it shouldn't screw up your diving. Just make sure you are paying attention to your group and air supply. Camera's tend to focus a diver's attention elsewhere...

The mini is a good little camera especially for a new diver. No need to worry about a housing, takes nice pictures. I am sure you will out grow it eventually but you will learn alot from it and it wont impair your diving.

Get a strobe that will not only work with it but also with any future camera you may use.

Thanks for the input. I'll be doing my AOW during the first part of the trip, so I plan to leave the camera ashore. It sounds like the strobe (interchangeable with other cameras) and wide angle lens may be the way to go. I going to try the camera out at my YMCA pool in the next week or so to get the feel of its' operation and try out different settings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom