Sealife Reefmaster DC200 Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sterling

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone know if this is a good camera? Seems like it to me but being a novice I wasn't sure if its worth the money. Thx!

I have no practical experience with the DC200, but saw that it has only a 1.3 Megapixel resolution which is quite low. Any pictures larger than 3x5" (9x13 cm) will be looking very grainy.

If you are going to invest in a digital UW camera I would recommend going with at least a 2 or preferably a 3 Megapixel resolution. By the time you have your DC 200 complete with external strobe (don't even think about buying an UW camera without an external strobe!), macro lens (you'll want it someday!) and memory card (the 8MB in the camera is a joke) , you have probably spent $550-600 and this seems a lot for just mediocre resolution pictures.

Personally I would spend $100-$150 more and get a higher resolution (e.g. DC310). If that is outside your budget I would look at an analog system, such as the Sea & Sea MX-10 or the Ikelite Auto 35.

:snorkel:ScubaRon

I took some great pics with Sea&Sea DX3000 digital in Coz last May. Nice Rig as they have reduced the shutter delay to almost nothing. Rig can be had for about $700 without strobe. Also would consider the Oly 4040 or 5050 for that money. Better set up but a bit more money.

We've been happy with our digital reefmaster pics; it's definitely been a good camera for a beginner. (See examples by clicking on the "underwater gallery" link under my sig)

Our only gripe with it is that it doesn't retain settings when you switch batteries, and the factory default is for the "land" setting, so you have to remember to set it up properly every time you get ready to dive.

We did wind up springing for the strobe and macro lenses; but frankly, the internal flash ain't half bad - at least, it performed much better than we expected!

We'll probably go for a really nice Canon and housing next time around, but we definitely felt like the Reefmaster was a good buy for a "learner" camera!

It is an Ok camera from what I read about it but I just did some research about the digitals and ended up buying a DC 250 wich is a 2.1 MP and is only about a 50 dollar difference than the DC 200. Fifty bucks for just about another MP a great deal. But also they just came out with the DC 300 which is a 3.3 MP but it is about another 120 above the 250. So really you will have to decide what your needs are for. IMO DC 250 is best bang for buck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom