Sealife Reefmaster CL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbichsel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I bought a Reefmaster CL at the end of May for a vacation to Oahu. I used it quite a bit snorkeling and diving, 9 rols of 24 exposure.

I found out I have a lot to learn about UW photography. All the photos were able to be developed, but some came out as "What was that?".

Due to the limits of exposures, I am thinking about getting a digital in the 2-3MP range with a housing. Anyone have good suggestions?

Here is one I scanned from the Reefmaster.

Snorkeling in Wameia Bay, June 15, 2003. This turtle was huge. About 5' from nose to tail.

I can highly recommend you upgrade to a digital camera. I am most familiar with the C-3040 and C-4040 cameras from Olympus. But Canon also makes some very good models in the 2-4 MP range. If you go with a 3MP camera you'll be able to make 8x10 enlargements with the right compression settings. You'll definately be able to take more than 24 pictures at a time! The instant feedback is probably the best non-technical feature. Being able to take a picture over if you messed it up is a great thing! The learning curve is very gradual and you do not need an external strobe in order toget good pictures. Of course, a strobe is best but not necessary to start out. In fact, I always recommend new users to use only the camera for the first few times to learn what the camera itself can do.

I'm not totally sure of the current prices but I think you can get a Oly C-3040 and PT-10 housing for $500-600. It will last you for years.

Thanks. I know digital is the way to go. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 (5MP) that we just love.

I could drop $1000 for an Ikelite housing for it, but I'm not ready to take that much photography money underwater.

$500-$600 sounds like a good investment.

Thanks again.

I got a Reefmaster RC with an external strobe and I'm quite happy with it.

I get some nice shots out of it. All it takes is practice. I might buy a macro lense soon.

I'd like to buy a digital camera but at the moment I don't have the $$ :(

If you want to check out some of the pictures I took with the Reefmaster RC have a look here:

http://members.optushome.com.au/myfiles/scuba.htm

The photos from the Photography Course were taken with another camera(s).

BTW I like those two pics!

Hello,

Isn't that a nurse shark?

Ed

Hi, I use the same camera, first with one strobe and now with two. The film should be developed at a good store such as Ritz, with people who will work with you. Ask them to add reds and yellows and they will likely be happy to play with their machine to get a good mix. Be sure to take the pics in the ranges stated in the manual. The strobes help a lot also, if aimed correctly. Be sure to use 100 or 200 speed good quality film.
Sealife Reefmaster has a new 3MG (I think) digital now and I am thinking of trying that, since my film version has done so well and I have a macro and strobes to fit it. It should work well if you are on a budget also. I have some pictures posted with it. Go to http://www.dashto.com/stormpics/ to view the ones from this year and then to the dive section for more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom