Sealife or very expensive setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pongo1998

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are trying to scuba dive a few more times a year other than just on our vacations. Would we be better off with getting a camera like the sealife or would we be better off
getting the housing for our camera and the strobes. Its ALOT more money but I'm not sure how much you can grow with the sealife. The camera we have is the Sony NEX-7. The sealife is about $1400 and the other way is about $4800 to setup the nex7.

A different option I'd consider over either of the two you listed is something like a Canon S95 or G12 with an Inon S2000 or Sea n Sea YS-01 strobe. Backscatter.com has packages, or you can customize a bit and pick out the various parts yourself. Cost will be anywhere from $1,200 to $2,000, depending on the type of housing you want for the camera. This route costs about the same as the Sealife option, but will let you grow with full manual controls and RAW capability. The strobes I listed above are also good enough that they could be moved to another setup if/when you decide to upgrade.

I have an S95, Inon S2000, and Optical Ocean Sales tray and arm setup that I'm very happy with.

James

How serious do you plan to do underwater photography? Do you care about beautiful pictures or do you just want to capture the memories? If you are very serious, then I would suggest building your Sony NEX-7 rather than going to another system and later on deciding that you want to use the Sony NEX-7. It is a very nice camera, you can go very far with it.

32.gif

Do not buy any camera that does not have RAW capability or:
1. you will have to calibrate your "custom" white balance setting underwater for your non-strobe shots.
or
2. you will have to use a filter in shallower water for non-strobe shots.
or
you will have to use a Photoshop Action called "Underwater" to restore the red in your non-strobe shots.
or
3. you will have "blue photos" on non-strobe shots with none of the above.

You dont need the break the bank for the camera.

Pt 050 housing 300
Used olympus xz1(raw capable)..300
Ys02 300

Tray and arms 200

Total 1100

And you will be able to take great pics

I've seen very good images with SeaLife, and they are near the top in terms of customer service. It's simple to use, as well, and can be bought for much less than $1000 with dual strobes. However, it doesn't shoot RAW and has very limited manual capabilities.

Think of your goals with photography. Do you ever think you'll be advancing in your goals, wanting more customization to get better shots? Then you might want a more advanced system that shoots in RAW. Though it may be expensive now, you won't have to eventually replace the system if your goals change (versus with the SeaLife). My buddy changed his goals and sold his SeaLife to get a more "advanced" camera system.

Plus with a lot of images, Photoshop and Lightroom can help a lot more if you use the RAW format and use strobes.

I second the suggestion of XZ-1 with PT-050 and YS-02 - nice set-up at very reasonable cost, still give you room to expand; However, I do agree with other suggestion, if your serious with UWP - with nex-7 you will go far.
And what I like from XZ-1 approach, you can shoot pigmy seahorse and whaleshark in the same dive - yes, you'll need go a bit deeper into your pocket for wet lens.

I second the suggestion of XZ-1 with PT-050 and YS-02 - nice set-up at very reasonable cost, still give you room to expand; However, I do agree with other suggestion, if your serious with UWP - with nex-7 you will go far.
And what I like from XZ-1 approach, you can shoot pigmy seahorse and whaleshark in the same dive - yes, you'll need go a bit deeper into your pocket for wet lens.

thats my next thing to buy on the list.. either the UHW-100 or the PWC-01

Thanks for all the help. I think we will spend the extra and use the NEX7, that way it will do everything she will want it to do in the future.

Back
Top Bottom