Sealife Macros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am off to Bonaire for a couple of weeks and I haven't saved up for the housing and flash for my Digital Rebel so I am taking my Sealife DC300 with external flash. I was going to buy one last thing for this camera as I need to be saving my money for the Canon set up however, I have a problem with my flash shield. It is massive!! I don't see how I can fit on a lens without the shield getting in the way. I have looked on Sealife's website and it seems that their shields are narrower than mine. Does anyone think there will be a problem if after purchasing a macro lens, and the shield no longer fits, that I trim the shield around the lens? Thanks

Far_X:
I am off to Bonaire for a couple of weeks and I haven't saved up for the housing and flash for my Digital Rebel so I am taking my Sealife DC300 with external flash. I was going to buy one last thing for this camera as I need to be saving my money for the Canon set up however, I have a problem with my flash shield. It is massive!! I don't see how I can fit on a lens without the shield getting in the way. I have looked on Sealife's website and it seems that their shields are narrower than mine. Does anyone think there will be a problem if after purchasing a macro lens, and the shield no longer fits, that I trim the shield around the lens? Thanks

I had the same problem with my DC310. I called SeaLife (# on web site www.sealife-cameras.com )and they sent me a shield for the digital camera. The other shield is for the film cameras they make. I also found they make a fiber optic cable - LeasurePro has it and I may get that to try rather than depend on the reflection from the primary flash. I also have a Digital Rebel but not the 2k almost for flash and housing!

jpomerantz:
I had the same problem with my DC310. I called SeaLife (# on web site www.sealife-cameras.com )and they sent me a shield for the digital camera. The other shield is for the film cameras they make. I also found they make a fiber optic cable - LeasurePro has it and I may get that to try rather than depend on the reflection from the primary flash. I also have a Digital Rebel but not the 2k almost for flash and housing!

Great suggestion!!! I phoned them today and they are sending me a new flash guard this afternoon. Yeah!! Where would the cable plug into as I don't see any ports on camera nor external flash?

Far_X:
Great suggestion!!! I phoned them today and they are sending me a new flash guard this afternoon. Yeah!! Where would the cable plug into as I don't see any ports on camera nor external flash?

Glad it worked out. I have found they have great customer service. The cable goes from the sensor on the flash head (has an adapter that fts under the yellow cover) and the other end hooks to a clip that sits it in front of the camera flash (on the shield). I suspect it also can be taped to the camera with black waterproof tape too.

I must have been lucky. I recently purchased a DC310. Basically, same housing as a DC300 with less buttons. The narrower, black plastic strobe deflector was packed with the camera.

The narrower deflector does allow you to install the macro and wide angle lens with no problems.

I have been looking at the fiber optic strobe cable accessory. Anybody have any opinions on it or, leads on a good deal?

Have a great trip Far_X! Post some shots when you get back please?

Great, just received my new guard. I had borrowed my friends and was about to cut my old one when it arrived in the mail. :) Hope to have some great photos. May grab the fibre optic just to see how it performs. I'll decide when I get the lens this weekend. Does anyone have a preference with the macro lenses? Is the double lens package too much?

I just realised that I bought a regular external flash and not the digital one (took me a whole year to realise). Is it likely to cause any problems or is having a digital one going to get better results?

jpomerantz:

I'm picking a pair of the these cables (I have 2 strobes on my DC310) this afternoon from my LDS. I plan to use them next weekend at the aquarium (I'm a volunteer diver at the National Aquarium in Baltimore) and then on my trip to the Bahamas at the end of the month.

I was having trouble with my strobes firing from dive lights on night dives and it was suggested to use theses cables to solve the problem.

If you like - I'll report how they work after next weekend at the aquarium

No problems at all with the white diffusers at all - they're a real bonus.

NAIBDiver 1

Back
Top Bottom