SeaLife Joe SL960 D & SL961 Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BHB ScubaTroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Posted this before, but it didn't get a response. Trying a new title

I have both the SL960 D and SL961 digital flash units.

In both cases, the switch magnet has rusted. I've cleaned both as much as I can but the corrosion now requires that I carry an external magnet in order to charge both strobes.

Is there a way for me to order just the magnet, or just the switch with the magnet? I have no problem unscrewing the two screws, opening the cover, popping in/out the switch mechanism and putting it all back together.

The corrosion has gotten so bad on the SL961 that the switch slides with the movement of the camera. If I tilt the camera, the switch will move left or right on its own. I have corrected that for the moment with a small bit of wadded paper behind the magnet. That has also helped with the magnet making its contact, but I am sure this is just a temporary fix

Thanks,
Jim

Just call Sealife/Pioneer Research directly - usually a lot faster than posting here (though you'll get an answer here, sometimes in a day, sometimes longer). I've had to contact them a couple of times and send a strobe in once and have always gotten good service from them.

Sorry about that Cooltech, it sometimes is hard to get to everything especially when traveling.

I haven't seen too many magnets rusting as you describe but I myself when in Dominica a couple years back had a mass of iron on my switch due to the high iron content in the sand on that particular beach. The magnet will attract anything around it.

If your magnt is truly corroding, then contact our service dept and get an RMA for them to take a look at it.

As for the loose switch on the SL961, this can easily be resolved by backing off, loosening the two small philipps screws on each side of the switch cover. If these are overtightened, they cause the plate to bow and makes the switch too loose. By loosening the screws you "relax" the plate thus putting more pressure on the switch and keeping it in place.

Hope this all helps.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom