Sealife DC600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI, I've been looking at the D600 with 1 strobe, and have gotten some good information here. A few questions... Anyone that has the setup with 1 strobe do you have any shadow problems like with the internal flash only? Also, how well does it take pictures of people or objects a little further away than a close up of a fish on the reef? If anyone has some pics to share with me with this setup to make my decission easier it would be great. I really like an olympus 6060 TTL set up ive seen, but its over twice the cost of the D600 set up and I'm new to photography so I'm on a budget. any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

One strobe takes care of the lip housing shadow problem no problem. How strong/far it can project depends upon the water. The digital strobe is adjustable. The camera also has adjustable flash settings - auto, far, close; they do have an affect the strobe. If you look at my diving pictures (hit the link in my signature), prior to December's photos, all with one strobe.

The 1000s seem to last a little longer than the 650s. I am not convinced they would last two dives in cold water. I am nervous to try because I don't want to lose the battery, then lose a great picture opportunity (of course that is what would happen). With flicking camera off and on, the batteries do last longer than in the 500 with one minute sleep. Having a fast start-up in the 600 is awesome. Can't rely upon that on the 500.

DiverC : Thanks for the battery tips. I'll look for some 1000 mah ones for my wife. I got her the DC600 with digital strobe last month for her birthday, right before we spent 2 weeks in Curacao. I hadn't thought about buying extra camera batteries before we left, then battery recharge time is what often defined our minimum surface interval. Of course, when we found the chain moray free-swimming in the sand flats right before we were going to exit on one dive, the stock battery had just enough juice to take 1 and only 1 picture - better than none. I'll definitely correct that before our next trip.

I recently was in Curacao with my DC600. I have never been much of a photographer (digital or otherwise) but I found this camera easy to use and even I got some nice shots. I also found that it allowed me to take a lot of shots. I did not try to get two dives on a battery and am curious to see if the 1000mh battery will get two. The strobe was using 4 AAs (NimH) per dive as well.

I was easily getting two dives out of one 1000mAh battery in warm water a couple weeks ago in my DC600. That was not possible with DC500. Have not been able to try two dives on one battery in cold water yet, at least since I decided to try. Probably won't be able to until 5/6.

Back
Top Bottom