Sealife DC600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

427 Dave - below the mode button is a button with a screen on it. That button acts like the switch on top of the camera - switches between video, playback, and stills (but only when camera set in sea or ext. flash modes). I think our water is too cold for getting two dives out of one battery. I have always put in a fresh one between dives (and be very careful not screw up the waterproofness of the housing - always a nerve wracking proposition).

Nice photos! I see the 600 has the same design defect as the 500 - the shadow in the lower left-hand corner is caused by the accessory lip of the housing for the lens. I don't know why SeaLife designed it that way, and didn't fix it in the 600. Just move the flash over an 1/8" of an inch. After I realized this problem, I was a tad torked, but resolved the problem by buying a strobe. Then bought a wide angle lens, which would have created a huge shadow. The strobe flooded towards the end of a Cozumel trip. While I was waiting for its return, my LDS loaned me another one. Then when the first one came back (no charge), I tried both. It was so impressive, I could not go back to just one. PNW water is pretty dark. Strobes are pretty important. They will reduce or get rid of the backscatter. Some day I will get to the clear, warm waters of Florida.

So you really like the dual strobes? I have only dove with the one digital strobe so far.....I really want the dual setup with how some of my farther pics have been coming out....sometimes you just cant get close enough, or the animal wont let you get close enough for just one strobe....

I agree with the wide angle lens though....I have about 60 pics from one dive where I just used the internal flash and every pic has a crescent shadow on it......I displayed complete disgust in the design to my rep and also Sealife National Sales Manager.....they never responded back to my email though....speaking of that, time to get in touch again :D

Dual strobes are awesome!!!!!!!! Takes a little getting used, especially since they are quite the entanglement hazard (so not DIR), and everything has to be done times 2 (i.e., aiming and power adjusting), but the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives. I don't really worry about shadows or backscatter any longer - a huge plus. Also, since I bend the strobes such that they are about parallel to the lens, the whole camera set-up is less tall so I can get the camera into those dark, hard to reach places and still have the strobes be useful. Sure, in clear, bright water, dual strobes not as necessary, but when I dive the Caribbean next month, I will be diving with both of them, as they will still produce better pictures overall. Definitely worth the extra $300.

Diver_C:
Nice photos! I see the 600 has the same design defect as the 500 - the shadow in the lower left-hand corner is caused by the accessory lip of the housing for the lens. I don't know why SeaLife designed it that way, and didn't fix it in the 600. Just move the flash over an 1/8" of an inch. After I realized this problem, I was a tad torked, but resolved the problem by buying a strobe. . Some day I will get to the clear, warm waters of Florida.

Darn and I really thought I had my finger over the lens:D Now that sorta is agrivating, why didn't they fix the problem? Oh well guess they want to sell external strobes.

Thanks for the battery information. Let me know how they work out. I lost one already, they are too small, figure it fell out of the case. I see on ebay the same guy has them listed for .97 and around $5.00, strange.

Just got 2 of the batteries from ebay that Diver C listed. They fit perfectly and cost less then $14.00 to buy and have shipped to my home. Charging the first one now.

Here's a few from a 600:
422435093_6ca753cc7f.jpg

426107927_e50be31710.jpg

426106478_2484d18ae5.jpg

Can you please let me know how the new batteries have worked out for you?

I just got my camera & haven't had a chance to get it wet. I bought an extra battery through Radio Shack for about $30 along with some 1GB cards for $24 each. Not as cheap as ebay, but not bad. You can pretty much get extra batteries anywhere that specializes in electronics or batteries.

Back
Top Bottom