SeaLife DC2000 or Olympus TG-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougieG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My 15 year old daughter and I have only been diving for about 1 and 1/2 years and have done about 50 dives. We are looking for a first underwater camera that is easy to use, but can "grow" with us as we gain more experience. We go on about 2 or 3 dive trips per year. I was considering the TG-5 or DC2000 and was hoping to get people's advice on these 2 cameras, or perhaps another camera that I have not considered. Thank you very much!

I have the DC1400, predecessor to the DC2000. The 1400 is a very easy camera to use, and produces pretty decent pictures. I have not used the 2000; but understand it is similar, with updated features.

I have mine attached to a coiled lanyard, clipped to a D ring on the left shoulder of my BC.

Something I posted elsethread just the other day: why not a $50 gopro knock-off on a stick? It's easier to manage, if it doesn't take it's only $50, and if it does you can "grow" into an $800 camera any time.

DC2000 has a much better sensor but I do wonder how many shots there are where that actually matters and one wouldn't be using a light/strobe. TG5 has a much faster shooting speed in RAW and can do RAW+JPEG, if you plan on doing any post-processing that's a big plus.

I agree with dmaziuk about the Go-Pro knockoff, unless money is of no matter. I use both a knock off and the DC2000 with dual strobes and I am happy with the results from both. There would be a learning curve on the DC200, but the results are spectacular. I have never used the Olympus and went with the DC200 because I have the long line of Sea-life camera's and attachments (lenses and strobes)..Examples here
index.html

Back
Top Bottom