Sealife DC1200 Bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My DC1200 with external strobe is extremely buoyant. I am looking into getting the weight for it I believe it is a 13oz weight to help make it more neutral.

My DC1200 with external strobe is extremely buoyant. I am looking into getting the weight for it I believe it is a 13oz weight to help make it more neutral.

Well thanks mate! I keep my DC1200 on a retractor but its always somewhere where I'm not reaching for it. I'll put 13oz worth of sinkers on a split ring attached to the retractor. I'll try that out tonight.

Yes please try it and let me know as I have some lead tape I will try . Tired of it floating up

Without a strobe, it is barely positive - and black! So many lose their cameras. I got the Sealife red float strap to make mine easier to find on the surface if I do.

The buoyancy of a strobe has never bothered me, but if you weight it - all the much easier to lose it.

Just make sure you secure it to your BCD with retractors or a coil lanyard. I use two coil lanyards in case one fails. I would rather have it hang down then float up and tangle around by regulator if I had to let go of it for some reason. Sealife sells an accessory weight depending on how many attachments you have.

However DandyDon is a big fan of the float strap. I must have seen over 10 posts from him explaining the benefit. Maybe he gets a commission from Sealife for every one that is sold. I'm not sure with multiple strobes and the camera that the float strap would be be buoyant enough.

DandyDon - Do you where the strap on your wrist? Do you just have the camera only?

Just make sure you secure it to your BCD with retractors or a coil lanyard. I use two coil lanyards in case one fails. I would rather have it hang down then float up and tangle around by regulator if I had to let go of it for some reason. Sealife sells an accessory weight depending on how many attachments you have.

However DandyDon is a big fan of the float strap. I must have seen over 10 posts from him explaining the benefit. Maybe he gets a commission from Sealife for every one that is sold. I'm not sure with multiple strobes and the camera that the float strap would be be buoyant enough.
:laughing: Honestly, when I see all of the common lost-cameras post on the Lost forum and in local forums, divers seeking help getting their memorable & valuable property back, usually newish divers who really should be learning more about safe diving and waiting until later on cameras, it's a challenge for me to not be rude - so I try to be helpful. I am often tempted to say "Did you not think? Of course it sinks when you drop it!"

DandyDon - Do you where the strap on your wrist? Do you just have the camera only?
Truthfully, I have taken Sealife cameras without a strobe on many dives, after refusing to dive carry one for most of my first hundred dives, and even tho negative - never fumbled one. I didn't know about the float strap or I would have used one, especially snorkeling in murky waters off of Holbox - as one drop and it's hopeless there. I've carried a camera with a yellow strobe on trips the last few years, confident that it would float and hopeful to find it on the surface or retrieve it in a cave - but now I have a black camera and black strobe I am looking forward to trying my new, red float strap. Yeah, I keep it secured on my wrist until final approach to the boat, then carefully pass it up before passing my pony up. I rejected a retractor for it as I already have a lot attached to my BC: console on retractor, alternate second stage, the pony, a slate on a retractor even tho hidden in pocket, DAN tag, and Storm Whistle.

Maybe he gets a commission from Sealife for every one that is sold.

:wink: I've wondered the same about the gas analyzers he lists in his signature. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom