Sealife camera opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian

Reaction score
I went in for my Nitrox class a few hours to early the other night, so I was browsing around my local dive shop. I noticed they no longer carried any cameras or camera accessories like they used too and inquired about it.

The clerk told me they weren't selling enough, and they weren't that good of a camera anyway. Lot's of bad reports on them, etc.

I had actually been planning on trying out the DC30X series (the digitial ones) if I got into UW photography, but now I'm a little weary. Anyone had bad experiences with their Sealife camera, or have another to recommend in the same price range?

I just bought a DC310 (digital) in the past couple weeks. While I haven't gotten it wet yet, it makes very good "land" pics. I've had the 35mm film version of it before and was happy with it's pics also.

I know that many people don't think this is a superb underwater camera and that you should get the fancier models by other makers. Most of those will cost you $2,000 or more to get a camera, housing, strobe, etc. I'm not taking magazine cover quality pics, but just taking snapshots of my dive like any other vacation tourist (but just underwater). So this camera will do great for my purposes.

I can let you know how it does underwater, but will be a few weeks before my next dive trip.

One more thing. your profile says you're in Raliegh. THere is an uderwater photo club there I think and they post their meeting notices on Scubaboard. Since you are local, you should check them out and see what cameras they are using.

-mike

mike_s:
I just bought a DC310 (digital) in the past couple weeks. While I haven't gotten it wet yet, it makes very good "land" pics. I've had the 35mm film version of it before and was happy with it's pics also.

I know that many people don't think this is a superb underwater camera and that you should get the fancier models by other makers. Most of those will cost you $2,000 or more to get a camera, housing, strobe, etc. I'm not taking magazine cover quality pics, but just taking snapshots of my dive like any other vacation tourist (but just underwater). So this camera will do great for my purposes.

I can let you know how it does underwater, but will be a few weeks before my next dive trip.

One more thing. your profile says you're in Raliegh. THere is an uderwater photo club there I think and they post their meeting notices on Scubaboard. Since you are local, you should check them out and see what cameras they are using.

-mike

Thanks for the tips, and your ideas for the camera (just capturing images for sentiments sake) is what I had in mind as well. As for the photo club, they're currently meeting right now at my LDS Gypsy Divers in Raleigh <sigh> I'm currently sitting at work with no end in sight til 10pm.

Whoa! $2000??

I'd skip the Sealife cameras and go for a small point and shoot (my personal pref is Canon A series, but there are many to choose from) and a manufacturer's housing. Get to know the camera and housing first then add things like lenses and strobes.

yes, the strobes will cost more than the camera itself but you do not need the strobe to get started and if you choose carefully, the strobe will actually grow with you. I still use strobes I bought more than 7 years ago!

There have been several recent threads talking about this camera and alternatives with some great information from those who have and like it and from those who have chosen a different path. On the top of the screen you will see a Search button - go to Advanced and type in Sealife then choose Underwater Photography...this should give you a good list to help you get started.

Whatever you choose, make sure it is right for you and then go out and have fun!! I for one look forward to the pictures!

I've had the Sea Life DC100 for several years, and love it. It was outdated almost from the day I bought it, but that is the way with everything computer related. Dived with a fellow in Belize in March who has the DC310 and it is an amazing improvement, but I am still satisfied with my older mod, for now. I shopped around quite a bit 3-4 years back and Sea Life was the only reasonably priced digital UW camera/case combo I found, and digital is the way to go. I just was not prepared to spend big bucks on my camera. Good luck! Jim

Chris, I had both a sealife DC200 and then a DC300 and they were OK but you have no control of your settings. They are fully automatic. Some like this but now that I have had Olympus 5050 and 8080 where I have control of the parameters, I would never go back. The quality is far superior with the Olympus.

You can start off with an Oly8080 for $650 and the Oly housing that goes with is only $250. If you think you will want to continue growing in UW photography, I would suggest a camera with more functionality like the Olympus 5060 or 8080 which will allow you to grow as opposed to being limited with the fully automatic Sealife cameras.

I hope this helps you in your decision.
Nick

I currently have the Sealife DC 310. It is my first U/W camera and first digital. I love this camera. It is very simple to use and as I get better with skills I can simply purchase upgrading parts. My cost in Canadian $$$ was $1600 inc taxes. And that got me the 3.2 digital camera, housing, slave strobe, and mounting hardware, and a cool carry case. I have picked up the macro kit, and lenses and am thinking about another strobe for additional lighting as our waters are dark and not the best vis at times. My housing has no adjustments while underwater but the next model does. So you just have to set up on land and have fun underwater.
Les

http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album01 Anything dated before 3-2005, aside from the Halloween Megadive and anything with SeaYoda's name on it, was taken with a DC310, some with the external strobe. As far as a simple point and shoot camera, its fine. The pics are good fun pics. I would recommend getting something different if you think you'll eventually want a camera that gives you the options of adjusting settings for different situations manually in order to get much better quality pictures. You can pick up a Canon A95 and housing for less than $450 new. You can pick up an Olympus 5060 and housing for $600 new. Assuming you are getting the "Pro Kit", you won't get the external macro lenses(but both cameras are much more versatile and will take excellent macro/supermacro shots w/o additional lenses). You also won't get the external strobe that SeaLife offers(its power settings are preset so, while it helps, its not the best strobe by any means).

You can buy a nice 4MP Canon, Nikon or Olympus with a housing for $350. Take a look at the Sealife camera that goes into the housing. Then compare it to an Olympus or Nikon. The latter are much better cameras. What you're really looking at is something like an $89 Vivitar to a $200 Canon. I'll take the Canon.

I agree with the others' that there is better out there, but for my first u/w camera I find it has enough for me at this time. Simple to learn and pretty much point and shoot.
Les

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom