sealed camera for plane travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My MX-5 manual says "When packing this product for airplane travel, release the locking latches or remove the O-ring to alleviate pressure build up due to atmospheric changes."

Only flown once with it (sealed) and it was in checked baggage.

Is this necessary? And do most of you do this with your camera equipment?

dive equipment is intended to tolerate higher pressures on the outside and camera sealed during a flight is under internal excess pressure - not a good thing

You should only have the o-rings in when i use anyway - it will prolong their life

A potential problem is that the case may equalize internal pressure while at altitude, then seal when returning to sea level. That will leave the inside about 3psi pressure lower than the outside and you will have a hard time opening the housing. Other divers have reported this sort of problem with various dry boxes.

Olympus has a similar warning in their PT-016 housing manual, but there wasn't any problem the 2 times I deliberately sealed up the housing before my flight home to see what would happen. (If it did seal closed, I'd have the time to just wait for the case to slowly equalize.)

I usually take out the o-ring and store it in the same plastic baggy I use to grease it.

For all the reasons already listed every manufacturer makes it clear that camera cases should not be 'flown' sealed. I've been told that the O rings can actually be deformed or physically blown if they are left in place and subjected to a build-up of internal pressure in the case.

wouldnt it be easier to just leave the latch undone?

Back
Top Bottom