sealed ankles collects too much water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C8X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've got a new Cressi Lontra 5mm with seals and the wrists and ankles. It's my first wetsuit besides the stinkers they give you from the LDS for the OW course, and it fit really well... in the shop. I ended up buying a size 3 which is pretty small for me really, thought I can get it on quickly enough and doesn't feel restrictive at all. The problem is after a drive, climbing back up on the shore, I have buckets of water in the legs of the suit, which makes my boots fill up like balloons. Unfortunately I got a great sale price on some boots that were a bit large for me so there is plenty of room for the water to get in there. I find myself having to stop every time I get out of the water and pull open the ankle seals to drain water. Anybody else? I saw deep see actually makes boots with a purge valve... my boots were cheap enough I might even try making a few holes through the sole to promote drainage.

I've tried sealing the neck as much as I possibly can (near the threshold of strangulation) and it's not making a difference.

I'm happy with everything except that few seconds coming out of the water, esp up a boat ladder, carrying a few extra litres of water that I don't need. Just wondering if that's something that happens to other people because I haven't seen anyone else on the boat dives with the same issue (not this extreme anyway).

as far as I know everyone leaves the water with fat ankles and feet. maybe go for smaller boots?

I have bell bottoms on everytime I leave the water in my wetsuit.

I like the water in my booties. When I get back to the truck (springs diving) I take them off carefully to avoid spilling water, then I have some water handy to get dirt off my feet or the wetsuit or anything that gets dirty, and when you have a wetsuit that's a little too tight around the ankles, like mine, something always get dirty taking it off.

It's probably just the large/loose boots that make it an extra problem walking out after a shore dive, but I guess I deserve that. Now I wish I hadn't bought XL fins to fit the boots!

Is your wet suit inside or outside the boot? If they are tucked in, the water can't drain out when you get out of the water. My hyper stretch carries a lot of water because of the stretch when its tucked in the boot. If you can put the wet suit over the boot you will pretty much eliminate the problem with the wet suit. Unfortunately many wet suits that is very difficult.

The other alternative is to go to a dry suit :D

I had the same problem as you and I found the same solution as RPanick, mainly because I was breaking zippers on my boots as a result of trying to tuck my wetsuit inside my boots. Once I started leaving my wetsuit on the outside of my boots, I stopped breaking boot zippers, and the water drained readily from my wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom