Seafrogs SONY A7II Housing to INON D-200 Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thomas Fair

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry if this has been asked before. I recently purchased the INON D-200 Type 2 underwater strobe to go with my Sony A7II enclosed in a Sea Frogs A7II housing. I'm trying to set everything up and I'm looking for cable options. Does anyone have experience with Sea Frogs housing and could give me some insight into how I should be connecting the strobe.

From what I can gather online, the Sea Frogs A7II housing has a Synchro cable port. I believe this might be adaptable to Ikelite cables and able to be used with the INON D-200. Sync Cord SEA&SEA or INON Strobe to Ikelite Bulkhead Non-TTL (Updated)

The D-200 only takes optical triggering. The SeaFrogs A7 II housing supports only wired triggering, therefore you need either a UW-Technics kit that replaces the bulkhead with an LED ( 16034-HSS TTL-Converter for Sony A1, A7III, A7II, A7IV for SEAFROGS (MEIKON) housings ) or an external adapter such as Retra E-Opto converter ( E-Opto converterN5 / PRO/Prime (optical cable connection) ). If you want to avoid this expense, change your D-200 to a Z-240/Z-330 and then you'll be able to use a single or dual sync cord - Sea Frogs 5-Pin Sync Cord to Nikonos type bulkhead for underwater housings, 100M/330FT or Sea Frogs Dual 5-Pin Sync Cord to Nikonos type bulkhead for underwater housings, 100M/330FT

Thanks, as I was doing more and more research on this I started to realize the predicament I put myself in. I'd like to keep my INON D-200 and use an external adapter. Are there any drawbacks to using an optical adapter?

Also, can the E-Opto converter be directly connected to the Sea Frogs Housing (ie. No electrical cable required)

I'm not 100% certain that the Retra converter will work for you - there is no obvious reason that it wouldn't, but without testing there is no way to be absolutely sure. You definitely need a cable to connect it to the housing, as both ends of that link are male (pins) and need a female-female (sockets) cable in order to mate.

From what I can tell the socket is a female socket and the adapter on the bulkhead has male pins. I'll probably end up buying it and seeing if it works, if not then I'll just buy a cable for it as well.
1677513397444.png

According to Retra, the e-port does require an electric cable (N5 male). Does anyone have an N5 (Female) to N5 (male) or know where I can buy one?

Clarification on all of this for anyone that may encounter this issue in the future.
I talked with Retra over email this morning to better understand the connections to the e-opto converter seen here:
1677616066169.png

Optical cable can be removed/replaced, and I'm assuming I can use my existing optical cable for the INON D-200
Electrical Connection side can be purchased with a variety of connection types seen here:
1677616236725.png

SS5 = Sea and Sea 5 Pin
N5 = Nikonos 5 Pin
i5 = Ikelite 5 Pin
S6 = Subtronic 6 Pin

The picture above is misleading, the connections seen here are from the electrical wires compatible with the converter. The connection point on the actual converter is a male end (Gold pins instead of gold sockets)

For my Sea Frogs housing I ended up buying the Sea Frogs data cable that connects a Nikonos 5 Pin Bulkhead (Housing Side) to a Sea and Sea 5 Pin strobe connection.

My plan is to connect my housing to the converter using that cable and then the converter to my INON D-200 strobe using the INON D-200 optical cable with a sea and sea type optical connection on the opposite side.

We will see how this fares when everything comes in.

Also as a side note, I referred to the connections with Retra below as male and female, but I can definitely see where this could be confusing. The left is a plug and the right is a socket, but the right has pins and the left has pin sockets. I still don't know which is right.

1677616884340.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom