SeaFrogs salted line 60m housing for Sony A6xxx ? need your openion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahmed Yahya

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone

I am trying to make up my mind about the new Seafrogs ( or Meikon ) housing for Sony a6500. The price point is very attractive but I need some real life trusted feedback about their new interchangeable port housings rated at 60m. I've seen some reviews out there but most of them are surfers not divers.

Has anyone purchased their housing and dived with it? What is your opinion about it in terms of ergonomics, durability, reliability at depths >30m?

A6XXX-white-01.jpg

@West Indiaman
@Passantino
@Barmaglot
@gstrek

I tagged you - hope you don't mind - as I noticed you've used the housing in previous threads. would you please provide me with some clarity & feedback on the housing performance ( and issues if any ) ?

The build quality seems decent, however, when my housing arrived in the box, the standard port was detached and there was a small o-ring bouncing around inside the housing. That didn't give me a great deal of confidence so I ordered the VPS-100 leak detector system. In above water tests, the housing seal has been good (a green light on the VPS-100 on multiple tests).

Customer support thought the o-ring fell into the housing during assembly and that perhaps it was Customs that detached the port (during inspection?). Not sure how they could have removed the port without removing the screw but it seems all fine and holds a vacuum seal.

The housing shipped with the fit-kit parts for my a6000 (it should fit the a6500 right from the factory). Installing the fit-kit involved replacing a few dial wheels and shims inside the housing (easy to do). Many of the internal shims are made to be moveable so I learned to be very careful when placing and removing the camera to make sure everything is in place. The on/off switch was a bit of a problem, however all it took was replacing the on/off insert with the other style that shipped with the housing. No problem with it working.

I am using the 16-50 mm kit lens zoom ring and although it feels a bit snug, it turns as I expect but not quite as smooth as on my Olympus housing. The zoom ring allows for not only zooming the lens but also using DMF or Manual focus. If using DMF, I can zoom the lens to where I want it, half press the shutter and then manual focus.

In a few weeks, I will be using it underwater so will post back if there are any issues.

The build quality seems decent, however, when my housing arrived in the box, the standard port was detached and there was a small o-ring bouncing around inside the housing. That didn't give me a great deal of confidence so I ordered the VPS-100 leak detector system. In above water tests, the housing seal has been good (a green light on the VPS-100 on multiple tests).

Customer support thought the o-ring fell into the housing during assembly and that perhaps it was Customs that detached the port (during inspection?). Not sure how they could have removed the port without removing the screw but it seems all fine and holds a vacuum seal.

The housing shipped with the fit-kit parts for my a6000 (it should fit the a6500 right from the factory). Installing the fit-kit involved replacing a few dial wheels and shims inside the housing (easy to do). Many of the internal shims are made to be moveable so I learned to be very careful when placing and removing the camera to make sure everything is in place. The on/off switch was a bit of a problem, however all it took was replacing the on/off insert with the other style that shipped with the housing. No problem with it working.

I am using the 16-50 mm kit lens zoom ring and although it feels a bit snug, it turns as I expect but not quite as smooth as on my Olympus housing. The zoom ring allows for not only zooming the lens but also using DMF or Manual focus. If using DMF, I can zoom the lens to where I want it, half press the shutter and then manual focus.

In a few weeks, I will be using it underwater so will post back if there are any issues.

Thanks a lot for feedback. looking forward to see the results of your trip.

I have dozens of dives with this housing down to maximum recreational depth. I've never had a failure of the housing. The company has stood behind their other ancillary products very well (float arms failed and replaced without question).

I have dozens of dives with this housing down to maximum recreational depth. I've never had a failure of the housing. The company has stood behind their other ancillary products very well (float arms failed and replaced without question).

Thanks a lot. also looking for some feedback on their wet wide angle lens. is it also commonly used ? how does it perform ?

I cannot comment to help the OP, but I wanted to mention that, as a surface photographer interested in UW photography, I really appreciate this type of input/feedback. It is very helpful feedback. @gstrek , nicely done!
:cheers:

To @Ahmed Yahya , good luck on your quest, and please report back your experience with whichever housing you decide on. I currently shoot with an a6000 above the surface, but expecting to invest in a housing fairly soon. :thumb:

Thanks a lot. also looking for some feedback on their wet wide angle lens. is it also commonly used ? how does it perform ?

I used an earlier version of the wet dome on my older a6000 Meikon Housing. Got tired of having to remove, flood and reattach the lens upon entry into the water. I tried a magnetic quick ring system and that improved things immensely but it was so strong my compass stopped being useful. Biggest reason I switched to the new a6xxx housing.

It did do its job though.

I'm using a 10-18mm lens; and it's a HUGE pain getting the camera in and out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom