Seafrogs / Meikon wet wide angle lens advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note that this is not, strictly speaking, a lens - it's an add-on dome that has an acrylic hemisphere in front, flat glass plate in the back, and air inside - no actual lens elements. It restores your lenses field of view underwater as if you were shooting through a dry dome, except you can take it off underwater when you want to use longer focal lengths and don't need the wide field of view. Don't know about other lenses, but Sony 16-50mm on my A6300 wouldn't focus with it past 30-35mm FL or so (the older 4" version; I haven't tried the newer 6" one). 16mm (widest end) worked without issues. I was using it on the older fixed-port A6xxx housing, mounted via a magnetic adapter and tethered with a lanyard; it's buoyant, so when shooting smaller subjects, I just let it float above the camera. If you want a wider field of view than 24mm-equivalent (84 degrees diagonal) then you need either a true wet wide lens (Nauticam WWL-1, Inon UWL-H100, Weefine WFL-01) or an ultrawide/fisheye lens plus a dry dome port.

Note that this is not, strictly speaking, a lens - it's an add-on dome that has an acrylic hemisphere in front, flat glass plate in the back, and air inside - no actual lens elements. It restores your lenses field of view underwater as if you were shooting through a dry dome, except you can take it off underwater when you want to use longer focal lengths and don't need the wide field of view. Don't know about other lenses, but Sony 16-50mm on my A6300 wouldn't focus with it past 30-35mm FL or so (the older 4" version; I haven't tried the newer 6" one). 16mm (widest end) worked without issues. I was using it on the older fixed-port A6xxx housing, mounted via a magnetic adapter and tethered with a lanyard; it's buoyant, so when shooting smaller subjects, I just let it float above the camera. If you want a wider field of view than 24mm-equivalent (84 degrees diagonal) then you need either a true wet wide lens (Nauticam WWL-1, Inon UWL-H100, Weefine WFL-01) or an ultrawide/fisheye lens plus a dry dome port.

Thanks. How was the lens performance ? sharpness ? CA ?

Reasonable, I suppose? Here is an album from my trip to the Similans last year, shot using A6300 with 16-50mm lens in the fixed-port housing, mostly with the wet dome attached, Archon D36V continuous LED lights rather than strobes. Keep in mind that I was very new at this - still am - so a better photographer would get much better results with the same gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom