SEAC SUB release a sidemount BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
First release details here: SEAC Sidemount BCD released

SEAC-KS01-Sidemount-BCD.jpg

I'm not very impressed with the KSO1. It has it's place and can be modified to work. Next year's model should be better.

What I do like in the SEAC line is the new weight vest - SEAC SUB - VEST BLACK SMOOTH

vest_black_smooth.jpg

Also available in camo. :wink:

vest_python.jpg

That's interesting...is there any way to ditch weight in the case of a BC failure? Doesn't appear to be...

That's interesting...is there any way to ditch weight in the case of a BC failure? Doesn't appear to be...

How many people use ditchable weight with sidemount?

Indeed, for many divers, ditching weight isn't the optimal (or even safe) contingency for a BC failure. The solution is ideally to have redundant buoyancy. Also, with sidemount, there exists a vast capacity for flexibility.. with varied options being available depending on the scope of the dive, no. of tanks, cylinder types etc...

It's interesting to note that few (any?) of the sidemount training courses include weight ditching as a critical skill to be transferred from back-mount (or do they just assume we're still wearing weight belts?)

There are integral, non-ditchable, weight solutions with many rigs... i.e. the Razor, Stealth, Hollis SMS50 and SMS100...

i.e. Hollis SMS100 weight unit:
picshow1.asp

Stealth spine weights:
central-weight-pocket-for-stealth-20-sidemount-system-by-xdeep.jpg

There's no way to ditch weight from the Hollis rig Andy mentioned or the Dive Rite weight plate either. The SEAC vest is actually a free diving vest but I see a huge potential for application in diving here as well. Great place for trim weights and to weight neutrally for empty tanks. I don't use any ditchable weight right now. Haven't in almost 10 years.

The SEAC vest is actually a free diving vest but I see a huge potential for application in diving here as well. Great place for trim weights and to weight neutrally for empty tanks.
I was thinking the same thing, so I looked at the vest at DEMA, and we will probably get one to try in the shop. Once I saw it, I was a little concerned about the durability, in scuba - it seems a bit lightweight (not necessarily 'flimsy', but . . .). But, I don't want to judge it until I have used it. Unlike the Dive Rite and Hollis plates, it puts the weight under the harness (between the diver and the harness), and I will be interested to see what that feels like U/W.

I got one being shipped to me today. Ill give y'all an update soon

This is ripped from a post I made on facebook.

"This one I had to refrain from giggling at during the NEC dive show the other week. The demo model showed that the shoulder staps are stitched directly into the wing as opposed to meeting a lumbar plate as per the Razor. Their demo model was beginning to fray at this attachment and the stitching itself looked poor. The back padding does not get on with the webbing at the bottom (there is a lower lumbar plate which the shoulder straps thread to to create the waist strap, as per the Razor). It seems like they were both fighting for space in the same area which was uncomfortable. There is 0 attachment options at the rear, aside from you threading a D ring there. Definitely looks like they jumped on the band wagon with this one."

They did jump on this one too quickly. But they seem to be interested in improving it for next year's model. I see potential if they make some changes. The rig was designed with advice from a diver who uses aluminum cylinders, which it would be okay with but has more lift than necessary for. I discussed the lack of rear attachment points on the current model and the need for them with steel cylinders. I definitely wouldn't thread D-rings on the rear but options were discussed. I should be getting a test model soon and look forward to making some modifications to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom