SEAC SCREEN computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this computer? I am looking to upgrade (currently using a Mares Puck.... the original) and am debating between the screen and a Peregrin. I know the peregrin has great reviews, but for the price I am realy interested in the Screen.

Hi @mullannix930

I can see how the Seac Screen price would be attractive. One concern you may have is the decompression algorithm. Though it runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C. it utilizes 6 presets without a custom GF setting. I'm assuming the Screen runs identically to the Seac Action. If that is true, the highest GF high available is 85, considered middle of the road/moderate, roughly similar to Pelagic Pressure Systems PZ+. I had posted this information once before, based on information sent to me from Seac Seac Action

As this information is not contained in the user's manual, you may want to confirm this information with Seac if it is an important consideration for you

The Shearwater Peregrine has 3 Buhlmann presets and custom GF. It offers a color screen. Neither has a compass. Peregrine is rechargeable, Screen has user replaceable battery. Peregrine uses Bluetooth, Screen has a USB cable (purchased separately). The Shearwater offers considerable additional dive information that some of us have learned to appreciate, such as SurfGF.

Best of luck in your computer purchase.

Thanks for the info. I am still on the fence and was actualy planning on the Peregrin after I finish my advanced (hope in the next month) but got curious when I saw the Screen and the price. I will have to think on this one a bit longer.

I will say that I am not planning to do any Tech training in the near future, so I'm not that concerned about the GF setting limits as much. The color screen may be be a plus, but I'm not sure if it is enough at this time to justify the cost difference. Whatever I go with will prob become the computer for my wife, if I ever get her certified, and I would get another for myself.

Hi @mullannix930

I can see how the Seac Screen price would be attractive. One concern you may have is the decompression algorithm. Though it runs Buhlmann ZH-L16C. it utilizes 6 presets without a custom GF setting. I'm assuming the Screen runs identically to the Seac Action. If that is true, the highest GF high available is 85, considered middle of the road/moderate, roughly similar to Pelagic Pressure Systems PZ+. I had posted this information once before, based on information sent to me from Seac Seac Action

As this information is not contained in the user's manual, you may want to confirm this information with Seac if it is an important consideration for you

The Shearwater Peregrine has 3 Buhlmann presets and custom GF. It offers a color screen. Neither has a compass. Peregrine is rechargeable, Screen has user replaceable battery. Peregrine uses Bluetooth, Screen has a USB cable (purchased separately). The Shearwater offers considerable additional dive information that some of us have learned to appreciate, such as SurfGF.

Best of luck in your computer purchase.

Do you like the Seac Action? I had not seen it.

Hi @mullannix930

I have not owned a Seac Action, just looked into it when it came out. Was intrigued that it ran Bulhmann, but turned off by the presets. You understand that this computer is moderate to conservative.

The USB download cable will cost you extra, don't know how much, other brands charge as much as $100, detracts significantly from the lower price.

Good luck on your computer purchase

I will say that I am not planning to do any Tech training in the near future, so I'm not that concerned about the GF setting limits as much. The color screen may be be a plus, but I'm not sure if it is enough at this time to justify the cost difference. Whatever I go with will prob become the computer for my wife, if I ever get her certified, and I would get another for myself.

Screen is not just the cost difference, it's also the battery: user-replaceable CR24xx w/ 2 years runtime vs "wireless rechargeable" w/ 30 hours "on medium brightness".

If you're used to Puck and never felt limited by its NDLs, you'll probably be fine with GF85. If anything, it should give you more bottom time later in the trip because unlike RGBM it doesn't "reduce gradients" for repetitive dives. In theory anyway: I've neither Puck nor Screen so...

PS however if Puck handles overstaying the NDL the same way my Cressi does, either Screen or Peregrine or 85/85 will be a marked improvement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom