Seabase vs. Homestead Crater.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Nelson

Contributor
Reaction score
While searching for info on the crater dive I stumbled across Seabase. It looks pretty cool. Has anyone went? At 20 a person I hope it is as advertised.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 10:29 AM ----------

No one has been?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

IF you are in the area and IF you have nothing else to do, then it may be worth the time. Don't make a special trip.
Seabase is a inland salt water pond, more like three ponds, that has tropical marine life. Nurse shark, jacks, rays, butterfly and a few others.
Thursday morning is your best bet for visibility since it has from Sunday evening til then for the mess to settle from the weekends classes.
On a good day you may have 10 feet of vis.
Max depth in the main pond and White Rocks is over 20 feet. The "Abyss" is around 60 feet plus. When you get to the bottom of the abyss if your over 6 feet tall and you lay flat on the grate your fins will be touching one side while your head bumps the other. It was created to meet a depth rule for training.

wrong forum...both are in Utah

moved...

The other vis issue is seasonal algal blooms. Now's a better time than autumn.

It's only a 45 minute drive for us. We've been once and haven't been back. Since my first trip I have twice driven another 1.5 hours past it to dive blue lake. Their facilities are good and the concept is great, but it's murky, murky, murky.

I actually enjoy sea base, usually visit there couple times a year either to reach a class or just get wet in the spring before local diving takes off. IMO homestead is too hot unless it's January or February.... nothing too see there, were sea base has their sharks and other fish, granted its not the Caribbean but your not paying for Caribbean,your paying for a salt water pond in the middle of a high elevation desert.... that's cool in and of itself :D

And then I seen this is an old post haha:dork2:

Back
Top Bottom