Sea-thru Underwater Color Correction Algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Came across an article about this physics based underwater color correction algorithm that looks friggin cool. I hope the person who came up with it sells it to a SCUBA camera OEM so that our cameras can color correct on the fly. Check it out:

Here's a sample picture before and after correction. Check out the color chart in the picture.

c4cdda_0294432d2c924adb9b2ce6a413581b02_mv2.jpg

I'm going to send an email and see if they can license this. I'd pay a modest license fee to buy add-on for post dive editing. Or maybe they could have a web site host an editing tool that people could subscribe to where you could upload photos and videos and download the conversion.

If you read their report, you discover that the method absolutely requires a "range map," which is the distance to each object in the image. This is a difficult project in itself, and as they say, is done with either having objects of know size spread throughout the imaged area, or using 3-D stereoscopic imaging.

If you read their report, you discover that the method absolutely requires a "range map," which is the distance to each object in the image. This is a difficult project in itself, and as they say, is done with either having objects of know size spread throughout the imaged area, or using 3-D stereoscopic imaging.
That's too bad.

With technology evolving as it is, we may see an active mask down the road that corrects what you see in real time. Now that would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom