Sea sickness medication - effect on rebreather diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tried all of it. Even the halves of the patch and pills made her loopy. Next option will be zofran. It’s really for vomiting and not the vertigo that causes seasickness, but we’re out of options.

The ones I've been prescribed are Stemetil (prochlorperazine maleate) and Ondansetron (which I think is the same as Zofran).
I was told the Ondansetron/Zofran is the strongest, and can in rare cases cause Serotonin Syndrome. In fact both can, but Ondansetron is stronger, so slightly higher risk.
I've tested both by just taking them a couple of times each on regular days without diving or going on a boat. I didn't notice any changes in mental acuity at all, so I guess they'll be safe to dive with.
The only concern I had was specifically with regard to Hyperoxia, given that nausea can be a symptom and that it could potentially be masked by taking antinauseants.
I think I'll take Ondansetron on my next boat dive and see how it goes. Will be using OC, so not really expecting hyperoxia as long as I stay well above MOD.
I'm still not rebreather trained... but expect to be within the next 6 months.

The only concern I had was specifically with regard to Hyperoxia

I have said this before - some meds will alter the convulsion threshold, some lower, some raise. DAN may have the answer.

Please let us know what DAN told you. My wife gets seasick very easy. We use scop but would like to see the options.

tried all of it. Even the halves of the patch and pills made her loopy. Next option will be zofran.

At the risk of being just another one of those boat people giving unsolicited advice....
Does she get migraines at all?
Rizatriptan is another really strong drug that my partner takes for migraines. It's also apparently effective with motion sickness related to migraines. Also, the type of contraceptive pill she's on is a contributing factor in the migraines.

Please let us know what DAN told you. My wife gets seasick very easy. We use scop but would like to see the options.

Will do... still not entirely sure how to contact them for advice though. I currently don't pay for DAN cover.

I currently don't pay for DAN cover.

If you are diving get the coverage. It is inexpensive...when I got type II decompression sickness in 2000 the bill was over $25,000 -- the insurance paid 100%. I did not have to pay anything.

2021 prices for those treatments would be a LOT higher.

If you are diving get the coverage. It is inexpensive...when I got type II decompression sickness in 2000 the bill was over $25,000 -- the insurance paid 100%. I did not have to pay anything.

2021 prices for those treatments would be a LOT higher.

I'll have to look what I'm already covered for. I'm on the highest plan with my private health insurance, and here in Australia most things are already covered anyway by the public health system.. Private health insurance can just get you into private facilities and shorter wait times. I'm sure one of the local public hospitals has a hyperbaric chamber.

I wouldn't be covered for dive accidents abroad though. Won't be doing that until next year.

There is some tangible evidence that severe sea sickness and a PFO can be related, I think there was a TDI article a while ago in this regard.

I used to suffer very badly with sea sickness but it is markedly improved post closure, no firm evidence though that the 2 are linked.

I carry root ginger and shave slices off on the way out if it gets lumpy in the N Sea.

Kwells are used a lot by some of the divers doing some sub 100m dives off N Ireland and they keep coming back ok so must be allright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom