http://www.diveheart.org/

Sea Shepherd in need of help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StormyWildcat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have read the other Sea Shepherd threads, no one is ever going to agree on whether they are doing more harm than good, so I am not starting this thread to rehash all the same arguments. I am posting this so those who do support Sea Shepherd and their cause know that help is needed and to inform those who do not know who they are what their mission really is. Most people only know them from Whale Wars, here is more information on what they actually do.

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is a non profit marine conservation society. They are not just fanatical anti-whaling campaigners but work to defend all sea life. Isn't that what those who enjoy diving the waters around the world want? They are the only organization to use direct action to achieve their goals. They work to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in the world's oceans in order to conserve and protect ecosystems and species.

They helped clean up the Gulf of Mexico oil spill! They do a lot of educational and land based work besides just what is seen in the media. They work to stop cruelty and killing of many different marine animals, being fish, mammal and even aviary. Take a look at all that they do instead of just jumping to conclusions based on what you see on TV. They are one of the top rated charities by Charity Navigator!

For those who were not aware of all that they do and now see the good they do, welcome. For those who do know them and support them, I hope you can help! Sea Shepherd needs your help!! We do not always have to agree, but I hope that as people who love being in the water we can all agree to save the wildlife.

More information on Sea Shepherd

Save Our Ship!! Message from Capt Paul Watson

Last edited:
Dude? Oh by the way, there was a recent dude thread

Get into public speaking for those that are anti public

It looks like they are expanding their mission now that the japanese are backing away from whaling. It will be interesting to see where Capt Watson redirects his efforts for future opportunities and causes.

best news of the week! The "Captain" is without his boat, about time he learned that age old kindergarten rule....there are consequences for your actions....

Good for the Scots!! Keep that bucket shoreside until the case is heard.

And here I wanted another artificial reef to dive :sad:.

To the OP....nice post. Telling a huge contingent of members to bugger off.....how is that working for you?

best news of the week! The "Captain" is without his boat, about time he learned that age old kindergarten rule....there are consequences for your actions....

Good for the Scots!! Keep that bucket shoreside until the case is heard.

First I heard of it, no wonder they are over here looking for support ie money

Never has the need for your help and support been greater! Our vessel the Steve Irwin has been detained by the UK courts because of a civil lawsuit brought against Sea Shepherd by a Maltese company: Fish and Fish Limited (F & F). This is due to our actions that saved 800+ illegally caught bluefin tuna during Operation Blue Rage 2010.

Unless we immediately post a bond for USD$1,411,692.87, the Steve Irwin will be held or possibly sold. Your gift is incredibly important and will make a difference. Thank you!

Looks like "the captain" has his new cause, save the bluefin tuna, send money

One problem with starting a war, is the other side often decides to fight back, once the fighting starts, the other guy has a way of making all of your carefully laid plans go "Phoot!", and you need to adjust, adapt, and change tactics yourself.

While I have supported some of their cause, I question methods that involve violence, and somehow, I am not surprised they have been shocked when their opponents have retaliated.

Firstly, it does not pay to be confrontational, when you are essentially just asking for money...

Secondly, I would be interested to know of the critical need for financial support.. as you say Sea Shepherd is a high profile charity that receives considerable support and interest. Is this a matter of timing, or one of financial incapability?

...or is it just using the legal procedings to garner more media attention and swell the coffers?

From this news website: LINK
HE CAMPAIGN against the annual slaughter of around 1,000 pilot whales in Faroe has suffered a first set back on Friday afternoon when the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society’s flagship Steve Irwin was served with a court order.The vessel will now stay at the Morrison Dock, in Lerwick, until at least Monday for the group’s lawyers to negotiate bail conditions.Founder and president of the radical environmentalist organisation, Paul Watson, said on Friday that the warrant had been served at 4.30pm, too late for their legal team to respond before the weekend.

Sounds that negotiations are on-going and that a slight delay in sailing seems likely. Is there a desperate financial need? It doesn't seem like it.

Thirdly, the claim is for damage caused to equipment. Is it true that the Sea Shepherd vessel did cause damage to the Maltese tuna pens?

This site seems to show that physical contact between the SS vessel and the tuna cage was made...and not in the manner that SS claimed it was:

LiveLeak.com - Footage shows protester's ship ramming tuna cage
Don't get me wrong, I think that SS does a great job.... but I don't like having wool pulled over my eyes by fundraisers.

They are lucky they just confiscated the ship. The British used to publicilly hang pirates and leave the bodies hanging at the dock.

They are lucky they just confiscated the ship. The British used to publicilly hang pirates and leave the bodies hanging at the dock.

Now THAT is an episode I would watch!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom