SEa&Sea YS-25 DX strobe Comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammerhead man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of purchasing a Sea and Sea YS-25 strobe for my Sea and Sea DX-3000G underwater digital camera. Does anyone have any comments on how good this strobe is or what other options available for this camera?

Thanks

I have the YS-25 which is mounted to my MX-10 with the DX Stay (base plate) and the DX Arm and triggered by the Fiber Optic Cord.

The YS-25 can be used as a slave but this requires you to leave the camera flash open and your pictures subject to scatter. With the fiber optic cord you would use the flash cover. If I remember my research correctly the DX-3000 has a molded socket for the cord so attachment should not be a problem. As the cord only transmits the light to trigger the YS-25 you have to use the strobes settings for the flash strength. The good thing is the strobe comes with a good assortment of settings.

I have not used the strobe much due to a move and lack of time to be underwater but the pictures I have taken were satisfactory from a lighting standpoint.

Recycle time is fairly quick but obviously depends on your batteries. (it takes two AA).

The only "problem" I have had so far is that the DX Arm is not long enough to position so that I dont illuminate just one side of the subject when taking head on macro shots.

The only thing I dont like is the fiber optic cord. It is long and I have to wrap it once around the arm to keep it relatively close to the camera.

The sea&sea site can give you details (specifics) about the strobe and I think Scuba.com can provide you with informaton on alternate strobes. I believe the YS(?) 90 can also be used the same way as the YS-25.

I have the Dx-3000 with a YS-25 strobe, I plan on getting the 4" extension for the strobe arm as I'm still getting some backscatter.
another nice accesory is the wide andgle lens.

You can check out my pics here

This was my first trip with this camera. I got tired of paying for developing film!!!

Some shots had too much light!! But I'm learning :wink:

My pics look darker on my website (viewed from my home computer) than they do on my laptop. On the laptop they look great!! It may just be the monitor, I don't know

Thanks for all the replys. Tavi, have not heard anything about a 4" extension for the DX arm. Can you give me a site that gives info on this. I think that the extra 4" would be helpful in positioning the strobe to get a better lighting angle and help eliminate backscatter.

Thanks,

hammerhead man once bubbled...
Thanks for all the replys. Tavi, have not heard anything about a 4" extension for the DX arm. Can you give me a site that gives info on this. I think that the extra 4" would be helpful in positioning the strobe to get a better lighting angle and help eliminate backscatter.

Thanks,

I think the 4"" will make quite a difference too!!

I saw the 4"" extension on a price list at my LDS.
I've ordered it, it's not in yet.

Tavi, Is the 4" extension made by sea & sea? If so, could you send me to part number when you get it?

Tavi, was wondering if you got your 4" extension and if so, what is your impression of it.

They forgot to order it! I'll remind them (again) this weekend, but even when I get it, it looks like it will be a while before I get to dive with it.

I'll check on the part number this weekend also.

I bought my 4 inch extension from scuba.com. The Sea and Sea P/N is 29080. They only charged me $12.95

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom