Sea & Sea ys-01 overexposing....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clavell

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Sea & Sea YS - 01 strobe and tray/single handle/arm package. I have forgotten to take the light diffuser with me on my current dive trip. I am shooting with a canon G16 w/ a Fantasea housing. I am shooting in Av mode with the strobe set on DS-TTL, and power on low, per instructions I have found online ( I have also tried varying the power level but to no effect). The flash does not appear to be metering the amount of light correctly as everything is badly overexposed. I am shooting critters etc at relatively close distances, but not macro, but I can’t be sure whether to attribute this 100% to the lack of the light diffuser or if there is a problem with the strobe itself. When testing it on dry land shooting a stationary item at ~ 2 feet distance, the same occurs. Also, while testing it on land to try to figure things out, a semi pro underwater photographer checked all the camera settings and reconfirmed that the G16 was set up correctly for the flash and TTL metering. The only other thing we noted was that the red "on" light at the rear of the housing DOES turn red when the light is powered up, but DOES NOT turn green for a few seconds after firing, as it is supposed to do as explained in the user manual. When I borrowed another strobe (with light diffuser in place) to trial, the exposures came out correct. What do you think? Am I out of luck or just need to locate/buy another light diffuser? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

1. Set your setting to M, shutter speed = 1/125, F 5.6/ ISO 200
or if you use AV set shutter speed to 1/125 and "fix ISO to 200"
2. Set your flash in camera to TTL
3. Set Strobe mode to TTL
4. Try a macro shot and check your picture
5. Never use TTL for wide angle, use manual mode instead

Take your camera off auto, especially auto ISO.

1. Set your setting to M, shutter speed = 1/125, F 5.6/ ISO 200
or if you use AV set shutter speed to 1/125 and "fix ISO to 200"
2. Set your flash in camera to TTL
3. Set Strobe mode to TTL
4. Try a macro shot and check your picture
5. Never use TTL for wide angle, use manual mode instead
Thank you. I will try that on land first and see how some test photos turn out....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom