Sea & Sea or Sea Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hapsmo

New
Reaction score
I'm new to UW photography and really need some good advice concerning what to buy. I've read tons of blogs concerning the DX-1G and the DC-1000. Both cameras seem to have their pros and cons. I'm leaning towards the DC-1000 kit with two digital pro flash's. However, I'm also considering the DX-1G with one YS110a. Naturally the S&S is much more expensive when all said and done. So my question would be is it worth the extra money to get the DX-1G with the YS110a or go with the DC-1000 Maxx kit and get two digital pro's?

No doubt the DX-1G has far more capabilities then the Dc1000. The Dc1000 is a great little system for people who want a basic point n shoot but the DX-1G can do sooo much more. The 1G is a Ricoh camera which is a brand that is well known in the photography world. If you want something that you can grow with, has manual controls and shoots RAW, then the DX-1G is your best bet. You might also want to look at the Canon G10 "which I have" or wait a bit for the DX-2G to come out:wink:

Agreed just the manual controls and the better accessories makes the DX-1G a far better option.

Thanks for the advice. I think at this point price is going to drive my decision. Unless of course I can be convinced otherwise. Based on all information, it would appear that both cameras are fairly decent. Of course the more expensive 1G has a few more bells and whistles (naturally) but I think for my meager purposes the 1000 will probably fill the task. Especially with two strobes. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

I have the dc1000 and I am very happy with it

Thanks for the advice. I think at this point price is going to drive my decision. Unless of course I can be convinced otherwise. Based on all information, it would appear that both cameras are fairly decent. Of course the more expensive 1G has a few more bells and whistles (naturally) but I think for my meager purposes the 1000 will probably fill the task. Especially with two strobes. Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

Remember, you are venturing out onto a slippery slope with this. Either camera will do fine for a start, but you will probably eventually want better. But then again, everyone has to start somewhere. I have gone through 3 cameras in my quest for the elusive "perfect shot", and am now contemplating going up to yet another. My only real advice to you is 'buy quality, and buy the best you can afford'. I guarantee you that the frustrations of limited equipment will haunt you long after the cost factors are forgotten. Just my 2psi. Woody

I agree with Woodman, I own the DX-1G and am very happy with the pics. The camera takes great UW and above water pictures. I also started with the assumption that all I needed was a basic camera and I would be happy. However, as I got better I wanted to do more continued to upgrade. Each time it cost me more because I also needed to upgrade my lenses and strobes. If the difference in the two systems is that you can afford two strobes with the Sealife and one with the DX-1G, take the one strobe and the better camera. You can always add an additional strobe later.

Just my thoughts.

Bill

Of course the more expensive 1G has a few more bells and whistles (naturally)
It's more like a ship's horn, or a Rock Concert of bells&whistles...
I agree with the guys, I always have a hard time when students come with a SeaLife.

I started underwater photography with a Nikonos V and used that camera till it flooded a few years ago. Then I decided to go digital and bought the Sealife DC500 with 1 strobe and wide angle lens. Currently I am using the Sea&Sea DX-1G with 1 strobe and wide angle lens. You can make good pictures with the Sealife camera. A lot depends on the skills of the person behind the camera. It basically is a point and shoot camera. The DX-1G can be used in automatic mode but that will be the same as driving a Ferrari in very busy traffic. You are not using the camera to its full potential. Apart from all the bells and whistles there is one spec that I wouldn't ever want to miss and that is the fact that the DX-1G is able to shoot RAW pictures. That gives you so much more control over the final quality of the picture that you never want to go back once you master the skill of processing raw pictures. Of course the initial quality of the picture taken (= skill of the photographer) is still the determining factor but in RAW mode you have much more room for correcting errors in exposure and you have perfect control over the white balance. If you can afford the DX-1G with one strobe go for it; if that is not the case take the DC1000 and enjoy that camera. possibly there will come a time that you will want to step up to a model with more options but in the meantime you are at least able to make great pictures.

I really appreciate all the great feedback. It sounds like everybody is recommending the 1G (probably because you all have that one) which actually means a lot. Otherwise you all would have the DC1000. However maybe the 1000 wasn't available when the 1G was purchased. Thanks to everybody and to Gustele for actually being somewhat partial regarding the 1000 in its ability to take good pictures. I've actally spoken with an instructor and he actually told me that two strobes is almost overkill and recommended I just get the one strobe kit (DC1000). Now that's the one he uses and says it's just great. Again another semi biased photographer based on the equipment they currently use. It's all good. I could be making a big mistake buying less expensive equipment and very well might regret it and end up in the future paying more. I'll just have to take my chances at this point. Since I'm leaving on my trip on 5/15, I'll post my pictures when I get back and we can all judge the quality at that time. Again, thanks to all for the feedback!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom