Sea & Sea MX-10 camera and YS-40A strobe questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
I took my camera and strobe to the lake to take some pictures. The landscape photos are great, sharp, and as good as any high res digital image. But the underwater photos are not so great... There is a lot of back-scatter, even with the attached strobe. There was one picture that came out okay, but for the most part, I am disappointed. I did leave the camera on F8, with 400 ISO film that I was using, and set the strobe to auto... I did get confirmations that the exposures were correct.

I was thinking of using full power and bracketing...

Has anyone used this set up and how did you get the best results?

Did most of the objects have to be close?

Thanks greatly for the feedback!

--carlos

The MX10 is a nice starter camera, but you do need to be close. With the strobe so close to the lens, any particulate in the water is going to show. Not a lot you can do with out getting a remote cord. When in turbid water you want the light from the strobe to illumanate the area just barely in front of the subject then back. In other words you want to avoid having the strobe light up any of the water column in front of your subject.

Good luck,

thanks! that's what i was thinking... i have seen the remote cord for the camera, but don't want to get that involved with this set up... close is better, anyway! the lake isn't terribly clear, either... when i get into clearer water, i'll be taking more photos...

--c

there are optical "eyes" on the camera and strobe, but since they are infrared, without them seeing each other, i'm not sure how that would work... if anyone has "jimmy-rigged" a device that works, please let me know... i'd love to try it.

--c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom