Sea & Sea DX-1G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakjar

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone taken any pictures with the DX-1G? I am thinking about spend my hard earned tax relief check on this camera and would like to know about the quality of the photo's first.

Everything I read in reviews is positive but I would like to know from someone who has dove with and used this camera before buying it.

If possible, a link to your photo's would help out alot.

Thank you.

The only thing I know about the DX-1G is that it is a ricoh capilo gx100 camera which retails for around $400 and with the housing from sea&sea it costs about $1000. $600 for a housing seems extremely expensive to me.

Another thing is it's preformance in jpeg mode is mediocre. If you're not experienced with shooting in raw, and you don't want to shoot mainly in raw, you can get better jpeg performance from a much less expensive camera. I thought about buying this thing a few months back, did all the research, and decided it was significantly overpriced. It has some very cool features that make it tempting, but you can definately do better for the money. Check out reviews of the capilo gx100, and you will find that it rates good but not excellent. Combine that with a $600 housing that should be priced at about $200 and it adds up to a poor value. I really wanted to convince myself this thing would be worthwhile, (that wide angle lens is awesome), but it just isn't. If it came down in price to about $600 and I wanted to always shoot in raw, I would get it.

The camera takes great pictures. I disagree with jefffalcone that performance in jpeg mode is mediocre. You can see some of my pics that were taken in the Galapagos Islands in my "view gallery." You should also see the pics taken by Eskasi in a previous discussion on this board at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...sea-dx-1g-sipadan-mabul-kapalai-malaysia.html. His pics are as good as I've ever seen. The camera is easy to use, compact, and I think takes great pictures. Sea&Sea cameras generally get low reviews on this website but i've used them for several years and they take great pics for me. In my "view gallery" you can see some pics taken in Fiji with a Sea&Sea DX-8000G that I think are really good. If you want to be a professional photographer you definitely need to look at DSLR's (they cost BIG BUCKS) otherwise a point and shoot with manual options do just fine. My belief is that the quality of pics is mainly dependent on the person behind the camera and not on the camera itself. All the cameras mentioned on this board are capable of taking very good pics. If you have any other questions email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom