Sea&Sea DC600 or Canon G9 with Housing ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjacobsen22

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I am a complete newbie in the art of underwater photography, and I am out to buy my first camera !!
I have narrowed it down to the Sea&Sea DC600 or Canon G9 with Housing, and I was hoping to get some advice from more experienced photographers on which one to buy !!
All input is much appreciated !!

My buddy Chris Walrod researched both set-ups and went with the G9 with Ikelite housing. He had it in my pool yesterday doing a test run before we head to Cozumel on Friday. I was very impressed with the pictures it took. I don't have a DC600 to compare it to, but, I think you too would be impressed by the G9 and that it would be an awesome set-up.

I purchased a Land & Sea DC500 setup as I was too chicken to put my Nikon D SLR into a housing. The Land & Sea system has 2 specific modes to shoot underwater. The program deals with the color loss of underwater photography (with and without a strobe). The controls are easy to use with thin gloves, however with my 3mm gloves it becomes hard to use. Some dive shops have the cameras for rent if you want to use and see which is best for you. Also the price for the setup was not that bad and it is expandable.

As far as I can tell, Sea & Sea sells rebranded Ricoh cameras with extremely expensive housings. You don't get your money's worth.

My advice is:

If you already have a point and shoot digital camera (it seems like most people do these days), just buy an inexpensive housing for it and play around with it. Learn to take good shots with that before you invest a lot of money.

If you don't already have a pns, I've heard nothing but good things about the G9.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I've been taking OW photos for about a month and I don't know much about photography. I have managed to get a few great shots with my little pns though.

There is SeaLife and Sea & Sea. I think you are referring to a SeaLife camera - if so, go with the Canon.

As mentioned Sea & Sea rebadges Ricoh cameras - at least on their topend. Their cheaper cameras are not Ricoh. Ricoh makes a very nice camera, if a little quirky. But they do shoot a little wider out of the box than canons and come ready for even wider angle lenses.

You did not mention which housing for the G9. I believe the canon housing for the G9 does not allow for wide angle lenses - similar to my housing for the Canon a710. Still good for macro and medium angle.

hope that helps

Hello Guys,
I am a complete newbie in the art of underwater photography, and I am out to buy my first camera !!
I have narrowed it down to the Sea&Sea DC600 or Canon G9 with Housing, and I was hoping to get some advice from more experienced photographers on which one to buy !!
All input is much appreciated !!

Back
Top Bottom