SEA&SEA 90-DX Help Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am the happy owner of a housed Coolpix 5000 (Sea&Sea housing) and recently got myself a 90DX strobe. However I find the usage of the strobe a bit confusing - Would anyone on the board know where I can find information on guidelines for setting the strobe power for various shot types ? I am happy to experience but would like to have somewhere to start...

Wow....I a just as puzzled. Hope someone can tell us both.

I only can guess that the seven settings are somewhat equivalent to the focal length or distance that is proportional...not to sure though.

I've been using the S&S YS90DX for a couple years. All those numbers around the dials are a bit intimidating, huh?

Your exposure settings plat into this too but let's say you are using f/5.6 and 1/125.....For dives in the 40-60 ft range, sunny day, I start with the strobe set on 5 or 6. For shallow dives, sunny day, a 2 or 3. For cloudy days, increase those numbers by 1. This is just a starting guideline. Take a couple shots and see if you like it then adjust to your liking.

I find that no matter what the days conditions, I generally change strobe setting with depth changes, usually about every 20 ft.

Depth and conditions have no affect on strobe lighting of a subject. They will, however, have a very profound affect on camera exposure settings.

Strobe lighting boils down to a discussion of guide numbers, distance, and camera apertures.

If you refer to the table that came with your 90dx, you'll see that if you are shooting ISO 100, an aperture of f5.6, and a full dump on the strobe, you should be 6.3 feet away for proper exosure. A half dump in the same situation (-1 on the 90dx dial) yields a subject distance of 3.3 feet.

These are designed to be starting points, so you'll have to fine tune using the lcd to check exposure. the very finite exposure control of the 90dx allows those macro shots with a minimum subject distance.

Interestingly, many very good digital photographers haven't ever even thought about guide number calculations. They simply shoot&review until they get the proper exposure.

Ryan once bubbled...
....Interestingly, many very good digital photographers haven't ever even thought about guide number calculations. They simply shoot&review until they get the proper exposure.

So...is that what I do? :rolleyes: May be. Doing math while I dive sort of takes the fun out of it. It takes all of a few seconds to take a shot, view it and tweak the strobe/or camera setting. All I know is I change strobe settings about every 20 ft...either up or down.

All thanks for the clues... Unfortunatly I flloded my strobe this week-end :( . Hope I can get Sea&Sea to fix (it looks like only the battery compartment was affected)

Hi Thanks. But can you advice how can I find an alternative of table to refer to as I seem to have misplaced my 90DX's table that is suppose to come along.

Thanks

Dee once bubbled...
I've been using the S&S YS90DX for a couple years. All those numbers around the dials are a bit intimidating, huh?

Your exposure settings plat into this too but let's say you are using f/5.6 and 1/125.....For dives in the 40-60 ft range, sunny day, I start with the strobe set on 5 or 6. For shallow dives, sunny day, a 2 or 3. For cloudy days, increase those numbers by 1. This is just a starting guideline. Take a couple shots and see if you like it then adjust to your liking.

I find that no matter what the days conditions, I generally change strobe setting with depth changes, usually about every 20 ft.

scubadudee once bubbled...
Hi Thanks. But can you advice how can I find an alternative of table to refer to as I seem to have misplaced my 90DX's table that is suppose to come along.

Sorry...I never had a 'table' to start with. With advice from another user of the YS90DX, I started with number 4 or 5 and adjusted up or down from there. I doesn't take long to learn what you need by looking at the scene in front of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom