Sea & Sea 3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Malibu, CA is where I spend most of my dive time.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Has anyone tried or bought the new Sea & Sea digital? I would love to get some user feedback before I buy. You see their photos on the website, but I want to really chat with someone who has shot with one. (Or shoot a card full myself.)

Thanks!:confused:

I haven't heard of many buying this set up. Have you researched it? Is there a reason you aren't considering the Olympus or Canon set-ups that have alot of satisfied users?

...for the most part. That, and I know Nikon and Sea & Sea very well, I've used their products in the past, with great success. Just thought I'd give their digital a try.

Just wondering! I agree about trusting the Sea & Sea name. But the camera with the DX3000 set-up isn't made by S&S. It's a Ricoh Caplio RR30. The link goes to a review on Steve's Digi-Cam site. From the review there are some neat things and some I'm not so sure about but overall it doesn't look bad but it's not that great, either. The 3MP with give you 8x10's with a good printer. One thing I'm not sure about is the 'Multi-Media' memory. I haven't heard of that one.

For the prices I'm seeing, if price is your main thing, I'd seriously consider the Canon S-series of cameras and housings. I think you'd get more for your money. One thing to consider, too, is whether you already own any of the aux. lenses for the MX-10 camera. I'm not sure about the lenses for MMII, but the S&S site has the MX-10 lenses on it. And of course there's no problem using the S&S strobes.

So, you see....I can find good and bad with it! Just MHO.

About a month ago Sea & Sea Japan's website indicated that they were discontinuing the DX3000 w/Caplio 33 infavor of the DX-3000x with a Ricoh G3. It has a bit more pixels and the shutter is even faster. They are still advertising the DX-3000 like crazy and no one seems to know about the x model but its out there. The shutter lag in both of these cameras is substantially better than anything on the market short of a DSLR, but the drawback is resolution compared to say the OLY 5050 or Nikon 5000 (which has been discontinued by Nikon).

Neither of the Ricoh cameras has been offerred in the USA but the Caplio 33 was fairly popular in Europe and Asia.

TedJ

Rented one of these units in Coz last month. I am very much a beginner but it took some very nice shots. I just need to learn to get closer. I did not rent the strobe and should have. Many of my shots would have been outstanding if I did not have backscatter and had more light. I have seen the rig sold for $799 w/o strobe. Sounds like maybe it might be worth waiting for the "x" model if they have already improved it.

Thanks for the info, Ted! :)

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?collid=17681623903

I rented a DX3000 last week in CZM. The link shows all of my pictures, all of the underwater pic's were taken with that camera.

I really enjoyed using it. I do believe I will be buying one soon. I also used the Y25 strobe with the optical sync cord. It worked really well.

It did seem to eat the batteries though, we changed them out every day.

I think you have to tell it to share with us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom