Sea Safari VII/ Komodo Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually my original post was in response to Cocasana's post on the Kararu/Sea Safari III. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Cocosana
Alor is fantastic for muck/macro diving and the coral is also very pristine. The pelagics are a bit lacking due to fishing. Alor/Maumere are amazing for coral reefs and muck.
My favorite is still ambon, which unfortunately is still off limits.
Pakman
I would not do Komodo from land. They concentrate on the marque sites from labuhan Bajo and because of the travel time, almost never get to say Batu Bolong at the right time. There is talk of new rules for diving in the park now. Those land ops regularly lose people who surface a mile away beat up by currents. Not something I would recommend.
I've never done Alor diving from land.
pakman:
Great info folks!

scubascooter - Good info. As someone who's spent a good deal of time in the area, would you recommend a land based dive op around Komodo/Alor? In fact how are the land based dive shops around there? I might be tempted if I move my trip to a later date when I can take a full two weeks off just to do some island hopping on my own... While liveaboards are convenient for the traveling, I would prefer to use a operation that "knows" the areas but I would assume most of the bali/bima based LOB's have good local knowledge...

Jenm - think I've seen your comments in another post about the Sea Safari III. My local dive travel agent was promoting the Sea Safari VII as their itinerary fit my initial schedule. But good to hear your positive experience on the III. Have fun on Sulawesi! I presume you're off to Manado/ Bunaken! One of my favorites (although I went many years ago when the logging and forest fire problems were severe and it was just depressingly overcast all the time). Two separate groups of friends were recently in Manado and just absolutely loved it.

Ahh... So many great places to dive in SE Asia with so little time to take off... Time for a career change! Or maybe I could convince my company to let me telecommute from Bali... :wink:

My "to do" list:

Komodo/Alor

Palau (good news, there are now twice weekly direct flights from HK to Palau - save that for early next year when its in season :luxhello: hopefully the HK based divers won't wreck the reefs as much as the Japanese... but then they do like their sharks fin soup :maniac: )

PNG

Truk

Similian Islands

Layang Layang

Apo Reef

debating whether to go back to Sipidan now that they closed the resorts on the islands (sad to hear its so overdived nowadays but commend the gov't for closing them)

scubashooter, you mentioned the top five dives sits in the Komodo area. You discussed two. In your opinion what are the other three? I really liked Cannibal Rock. Is it worth sailing a little South and East of Rinca to dive the Apple Orchard?
How about Sangeang. Is it worth a look? I have read about Karang Makasar and the Manta's. Is it worth skipping a dive to snorkel this site?

I did a Komodo / Alor 16 day live-aboard last year with Grand Komodo Tours. Good boat , crews, food and the price was within my budget http://www.komodoalordive.com/ . I am returning next year to dive with them in Raja Ampat. I highly recommend this dive operator. dawhale

I have another question about diving the Komodo area. I see on-line a list of dive sites and some are on the west cost of Komodo. Is it worth sailing and diving the west coast? On the INTERNET I also see Hammerheads are some times seen at Langkoi Rock. Have any of you readers dove this sit and seen many sharks? Thank you, dawhale

Dawhale
The Temu Kira is a nice basic boat that's laid out for diving. I like it too.
As for Langkoi, it's really hit or miss. There are hammers and even C. Limbatus and Bronzies there over the years. But also only grey reefers many a time. It is a very nice pelagic dive but deep and the currents are mean sometimes. No site is a big guarantee for hammers with the possible exception of one other place during the right season . But I'd have to kill you after I told you.

Scubashooter, " But I'd have to kill you after I told you."
I am old; go ahead and tell me where to find the Hammerheads. How about the other three of the top five? You did not comment of Sangeang. Come on and share. I have only been to Komodo once. I am planning on a return next year. dawhale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom