Sea of Cortez -North to South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I haven’t seen much discussion about the northern part of sea of Cortez. I thinking of a 13 day explore Baja. Will we encounter whales and Orcas this time of year? Will the water be much cooler in the. North? Should I be thinking of a more targeted trip, is it worth the time and investment to do the explore Baja?

I did South to North on the Rocio Del Mar in September 2021. We saw one finback, no orcas. I preferred the diving in the north, as opposed to the south. The water was cooler, but I think I only wore a 2.5mm shortie. We caught a storm on the way back to Puerto Penasco, which made for a long trip.

In October 2022 I was on a North to South trip aboard the Rocio del Mar. It was a wonderful trip and I'm very happy I did it. The diving in the North definitely had much colder water and limited visibility (green water). I don't know if that is typical, as it was my only time diving in the North. We saw humpback whales from the Rocio del Mar, and we were definitely on the lookout for orcas and other whales (particularly around La Ventana). I highly recommend the trip. It's a wonderful way to see the entire length of the Sea of Cortez. Here is a link to the report from the trip I was on: Explore Baja, Sea of Cortez, Trip Report 2022

I
Thanks for the link to your report. I'm interested in a possible trip to the North SoC (out of Puerto Penasco) on the Rocio next August.
I thought south was much better than north (better vis, more dramatic terrain). Snorkeling with whale sharks in Bahia de Los Angeles was cool but the diving wasn't all that good at all. We did get to freedive with pilot whales on the way back, though, which was epic.

Heading back for a Southern Safari next month 😀

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom