Sea of Cortez - La Paz - May/June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeinLA

Contributor
Reaction score
Heya,

My wife and I have scuba dived in Cozumel and Bonaire, and were thinking of trying La Paz for a Sea of Cortez trip.

From what I've read, May/June aren't the best times to be there, and we'll miss out on the whales, whale sharks, and hammerheads during those months. Is it worth going to the Sea of Cortez in May/June, or would you go somewhere else?

We're not "hard-core" divers, but we DEFINITELY make our vacations "dive-centric", so any other places other than La Paz that you'd recommend would be great!

Thanks in advance for the info!

Joe

FWIW, Cozumel was great, but Bonaire was AMAZING.

The sea of Cortez is not the Caribe, having said that, I prefer to dive WARM and may-june is alot warmer in cortez than March or november....you might catch the tail end of the Whale migration, but there are still sea lions/ and lots of other fish in the SEA....the algea should be about over so viz will be better in june than earlier in the year...there is a good post here regardingPulomo....

I will be up on the coast in San Carlos(other side of the Sea) in July and expect to have several days of great diving in 80 plus degree water with sea lions/ morays/ and Jacks, rays etc....one day I'll head south to Cabo at the migration time

May/June isn't too bad, not too hot yet. You may still see a Manta and the sharks are there, just deep. I think you'll have fun.

I have a couple of TR and pics on my blog.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom