Sea Monkeys dive op review - excellent dive op in Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We used Sea Monkeys for three days of diving early July. Our families were staying in Marathon but we made the drive to Islamorada because they were the only dive op we could find in the area that was only a six pack and also put a guide in the water. They were a great choice and I highly recommend them.

First, diving in small groups is so much more enjoyable than big cattle boats. On our second and third days it was just the four of us. Second, they were very safety conscious and provided great customer service. They setup our gear and at the end of the day they took it their shop, cleaned it and the next day is was all setup again. That made it easier to get back to our group of non-divers. I know some people don’t like shops touching their gear but I check it and adjust it before each dive so I appreciate the service. Third, the shallow dives were long, always at least 60 minutes and our last dive was 70 minutes. I hate shops that cut your dive short because they have a schedule. Fourth, the husband and wife owners, DMs and Captains were just really nice people and very helpful about anything and everything. Finally, a guide was nice because we had one in our group making their first post cert dive and another with less than 20 dives overs a few years and honestly I didn't feel like watching them.

We ended up doing 5 shallow dives and the Eagle. Usually I don’t like shallow dives but there was a fair amount of life so it was good. Free swimming green morays, nurse sharks both sleeping and swimming around, one Goliath grouper, tons of schooling grunts, angelfish, butterfly fish, parrot fish, sergeant majors, pork fish, small eels, etc.

My only problem and it was totally my fault on the Eagle dive I jumped in, got distracted and dropped my GoPro and two Sola lights far enough away from the down line that I didn’t want to chase after it. My name and phone number was on everything so it was never found or someone decided finders keepers. Time for a new GoPro and lights.

I have around 700 dives in about 20 different locations and maybe 30+ different dive operators and Sea Monkeys ranks at the top. I highly recommend Sea Monkeys. I can't imagine there being a better choice in the Keys. You won't be sorry if you pick them.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Edited by chillyinCanada

enjoyed reading your dive report / review...thanks for sharing.

I've been thinking about going to another Key as I'm bored of diving the same sites in Key Largo, and you just made a compelling case! Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom