Sea Mode or Blue Water Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know there a few posts out there for filters, but there is a slight twist to this one. On the Sealife DC 800 there is a Sea mode, which I haven't really used underwater yet. Due to having a strobe. But when I use this Sea Mode on the surface you can see it gives a red tone to the whole picture. So I am assuming this is acting like a digital blue water filter. I am not to sure, so any input would be great, I am still waiting on Sealife to comment on it. Now I have recently removed my strobe, because I installed a video light, and found I do more video then still pics. But I want to still be able to take still pictures and get good quality. Now a few people in the video section, recommended putting on a blue water filter. So I have looked into that, and found a few external underwater filters, which would be perfect. So I can take the filter off or put it on as needed. The external lens will need some DIY work to make it work on the Sealife housing, which won't be hard.

Now seeing some of the photos, from the Magic Filter series, and almost all of them have been amazing. The downfall, they aren't external. So, Is there a big difference between the Magic-Filters, a #779 Lee Filter, or the Ikelite 2.2" external sea filter?

Secondly! Would I be better with the sea mode in the Sealife camera, or using an external filter?

All your help is appreciated!

I'm back and ready to take this one on.

Now that you have set up the video light on your rig, you really don't have to worry about any filters as the light should be sufficent to take pictures with. If you were to add a filter, any or use Sea Mode and then add the strobe, it would add this color in making it too red. With the Sea Mode the programming will override the filter once you turn the internal flash on anyways. Filters are good when using ambient light only as the extra lights you use will bring out the natural colors.

I would try using your video light only and see how this comes out. You can compensate for the color temp on the light by manual whiote balance if you are not feelign like the colors in Auto and the video light are not coming out as you like.

Whew... does that help any?

Back
Top Bottom