Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my most memorable dives was playing with sea lion pups at Santa Barbara Island off the California Coast... until mom came along and expressed her disapproval.

Now here's my young and stupid story. I was about 13 and diving same-ocean-buddy solo off the Breakwater in Monterey when I decided it was time to go out and meet some sea lions, who still hang out on the rocks there. So I buy a frozen block of squid, put it in a mesh goody-bag, and start swimming. Visibility was about 10' and I feel this sudden and momentary surge. OK, that's weird but I kept swimming. It happened again. By the third time I noticed this black flash with white teeth and an eyeball. A moment of reevaluating my plan and the squid gets jettisoned and I'm heading back to the beach.

That experience significantly expanded my dive planning repertoire.

Diving with sea lions off the Channel Islands is probably the most fun I’ve ever had on any dive. They had me laughing so hard with their antics that I had a hard time keeping the reg in my mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom