"Sea lice" in Caymans currently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering how the season is going in regards to thimble jellies and pods right now? Does anyone issue beach reports? I'm going to LC in June. Thanks.

I just got back from Cayman Brac last week. We didn't run into too many thimble jellyfish during the dives at Brac and LC. But we did have alot along the shore line. We also went to GC for a day snorkle trip to Stingray City and did run into a lot there. The boat captain had bumps over his entire chest. I didn't have any problems but my wife got stung on our night dive at Radar Reef. Another person we met at the resort also got a few stings. So you should be OK, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Jeff

JRRKAR once bubbled...
The boat captain had bumps over his entire chest. my wife got stung on our night dive at Radar Reef. Another person we met at the resort also got a few stings. Jeff

If you wear a 3mm body suit, which helps with being cold after multiple dive, and helps those larvae stay off your skin, you should be okay:D

Diving is fun
Caymaniac

Several of our staff have been stung quite a lot. We are seeing them in various places lately.

I don't know what they are seeing up in the Brac, but it may be something similar. By the time your trip comes next month, possibly things will change.

So does this mean that snorkeling and swimming off the beach is going to be a problem? Sounds like it. We'll be diving, and have 3mm suits so I'm not worried about that. I would've liked to get some swimming and snorkeling in too though.

ebbdiver once bubbled...
So does this mean that snorkeling and swimming off the beach is going to be a problem? Sounds like it. I would've liked to get some swimming and snorkeling in too though.

You shouldn't have a problem snorleling or swimming as long as there are no thimble jellies around. Thimble jellies seem to have this tiny larvae that swim around them in the water, when you get a rash this where it usually comes from,

Have a blast:) ,
Caymaniac

We dove LC a couple days. None or very little of the itchy buggers. I cover up pretty good and didn't get stung at all. A few other folks did, but I don't think it was much at all.

Have a great time. Water temp 84 degrees

Back
Top Bottom