Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've just started watching Sea Hunt for the first time. It's the first time it's been available to me. I love watching it. It's interesting from a historical perspective and a little cheesy of course as well (it's TV)!

I'm curious as to how vintage divers view the program. What do you like about the program such as being able to see older gear in action and what don't you like so much...maybe all the swimming with hands or whatever. I also notice that the tanks seem about to fall off on many of the divers.

It's just a TV show but since it's from the right time period I thought it's probably a show that vintage divers enjoy and have opinions on.

I've just started watching Sea Hunt for the first time. It's the first time it's been available to me. I love watching it. It's interesting from a historical perspective and a little cheesy of course as well (it's TV)!

I'm curious as to how vintage divers view the program. What do you like about the program such as being able to see older gear in action and what don't you like so much...maybe all the swimming with hands or whatever. I also notice that the tanks seem about to fall off on many of the divers.

It's just a TV show but since it's from the right time period I thought it's probably a show that vintage divers enjoy and have opinions on.
Hi,
I love the 'vintage' diver label. See our Grumpy Old Divers (GODs) thread:D
Meanwhile, I grew up on Sea Hunt, as a kid it was 'adventure of the week' and Mike was a hero with no (very 50-60s) faults showing.
Gear was state of the art, I learned on double hose!
The swimming with hands is pure Hollywood, very few divers watching to say "Oh that's crap!"
I'd love to take the nostalgia trip; where are you seeing these chestnuts?
Os

Sea Hunt was my inspiration to start diving. When the show was running I was in my pre-teens. Watched it religiously at 7pm every Sat nite

I have one clip of Sea Hunt I show to my classes...they are so intrigued!

Joe

I use an episode called "The Roustabout" as a training aid for my rebreather students. It actually depicts a RB diver taking a tox hit at 50ft. It is a humorous way to break up the long classroom schedule
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6kbfhrT5X4

I loved Sea Hunt as a kid and have seen it on HULU recently.
I like to find the filming gaffs like the regulator being mounted inverted, single tank going in the water but doubles under water, heavy wetsuit on the surface but bare underwater, one brand of regulator on the surface and another underwater. They did amazing things for a 30 minute show.
I love it when they are supposed to be diving salt water but there are fresh water fish in the underwater shots.

I bought the entire series on DVD from Amazon. It was fun to watch... Again...

Richard

its difficult to gauge the influence of sea hunt. Many folks over a certain age attribute it to their inspiration for learning to dive. I did not see the original, but saw it in syndication as part of the afternoon programming between soap operas and the evening news, espcially on UHF stations. Cousteau and Flipper was more of a prime time introduction for me to the undersea world. Still, Mike Nelson is part of the popular iconography of scuba diving during that era, which was know as the Golden Age of Television. Yet, the show rates nary a mention in the recent book "Americas Ocean Wilderness: A Cultural History of Twentieth-Century Exploration by Gary Kroll as the book examines the influence of the American view of the oceans by celebrities such as Rachel Carson, Eugenie Clark, Thor Heyerdahl, and Cousteau. The book does mention that in the 1950s (the time of sea hunt) for Americans "the ocean depths were becoming a place of relaxed recreation; the ocean offered something other than sport and adventure. Skin diving united humans with nature; it was tranquil, calming, beautiful, even domestic. The innovation of scuba was the primary reason for this transition." As I watch Sea Hunt episodes, I see the transition from adventure to nature. Perhaps it was the catalyst that accelerate what would have been a natural progression.

What channel is it on?

I bought the entire series on DVD from Amazon. It was fun to watch... Again...

Richard

Me too! I don't know if I ever saw all of them, I was young when it started so I think I probably saw it mostly as re-runs. I've seen every episode now, some twice.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom