Sea Hares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supergaijin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently found these 2 species while diving in the west-facing lagoon in Laamu Atoll. We have had moderate to strong SW winds for the last fortnight. I've never seen them before in approximately 100 dives which leads me to believe that they are seasonal animals. I found a few of both species- some bigger than others.

One had a coating of sand which leads me to believe that they burrow. Are these sea hares? I used to see sea hares in NZ but they were a) bigger and b) had a different shaped head.
IMG_4580.jpgIMG_4588.jpg

Depth 6m.
Length approx 10cm

In somewhat? related news, around 2 weeks ago I found a total of 11 robust ghost pipefish during one dive (scattered around in singles, pairs and 3's). I went again yesterday with the intention of finding as many as possible to try and 'stitch' together in Photoshop but I could only find 3 individual males.

It seems that the seasonal SW/W winds are creating small cycles in macro life on the western facing lagoons.

Bingo! Thanks very much.

The Sea Slug Forum - Pleurobranchus forskalii
This relatively large pleurobranch is often found in quite large populations in shallow lagoons, reef crests and pools and sea grass beds. It usually grows to about 10cm long but can grow to over 30cm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom