Sea Elite Systems Recalls Buoyancy Control Devices Due to Drowning Hazard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how's this work? The manufacturer kept a record of which batches of springs went into which serial-numbered BCs; then found this particular batch was bad and subject to corrosion? That's pretty good record-keeping.

And why the lonely Profile BC, serial-numbered 000879? One of the springs fell on the floor behind the workbench, they later found it, and put it into that particular BC? :confused:

Or were these all the Scout and Profile BCs that the importer brought into North America?

I've bought my Scout BCD in May 2010 while I was visiting the USA for a telecom conference.
On November 10th 2010 I've received an e-mail from Divers-Supply where I bought it (Sea Elite is the brand of Divers-Supply) about this recall. As my BCD applied for the recall, they sent me the springs, though I live in Argentina. The instructions to replace the springs were published in Internet. The work was pretty easy.
Excellent support !!!

This is how the original springs looked like after 20 dives (some of them in fresh water) just when I removed them from my BCD. Rust has just started to appear.

Attachments

• IMG_6027.JPG
    IMG_6027.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 603
i was thinking of buying this bcd is the recall fixed and is the value scuba package from diver supply a good one or do you think the mares package on joe diver is better for about the same money

I've bought this BCD and I'm quite happy with it. It has already more than 50 dives.
Every manufacturer has recalls here and there. No one makes every part of the whole thing.
The recall was solved. Changing the springs is pretty simple.

Back
Top Bottom