Sea Base Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am the Treasurer of our local scout troop. At tonight's committee meeting, it was briefly mentioned about signing up for Sea Base in 2010. I know that PADI has Jr certification up to 15 that limits the depth to 40'. Sea Base minimum age is 14. Does this mean that boys with a Jr. certification will be limited to 40 feet?

Another question. Certification. I am thinking it would make sense to get certified before getting to Sea Base. Is that correct?

If we can not get into Sea Base, what other options are there on the East Coast. The committee member who would be arranging this trip mentioned something in the Bahamas.

I know that PADI has Jr certification up to 15 that limits the depth to 40'. Sea Base minimum age is 14. Does this mean that boys with a Jr. certification will be limited to 40 feet?

Another question. Certification. I am thinking it would make sense to get certified before getting to Sea Base. Is that correct?

If we can not get into Sea Base, what other options are there on the East Coast. The committee member who would be arranging this trip mentioned something in the Bahamas.

FSB accomodates Jr OW cert divers. There are plenty of great sites that are at 40' or less. Not to worry, it would be difficult to find a more safety concious dive operation than at FSB. They will require your Jr OWC divers to dive with an adult.

FSB has 3 'levels' of scuba adventure programs: Scuba certification, Scuba Adventure and Scuba Liveaboard. SA & SL require OWC as a prerequisite. In SC you spend time in the classroom and dive pools at FSB (in addition to open water dives). See their website for program details and requirements. PM me for info on getting your troop/crew certified in Northern Virginia.

Registration for 2010 FSB programs will be in Feb 2009 via an online lottery. Again, see their website for details.

There are plenty of diving opportunities in FL, the Bahamas & Carribean. But you won't find a more turn-key diving operation for scouts than FSB. Please be aware of BSA guidelines for scuba activities (see the Guide to Safe Scouting &/or the Health and Safety Guide). Most notably the requirement for Divemaster level supervision of scout scuba activities.

Hi Wheatondiver,

Just wanted to offer that PADI Jr. Open Water Divers who are 10 or 11 years old are limited to 40 feet and must dive with a parent or a PADI Pro. PADI Jr. Open Water Divers who are 12-14 years old are limited to 60 feet and must dive with an adult.

Once scouts reach 15 they can either convert their Jr Open Water Diver card to Open Water or if they are just being trained they will be certified as an Open Water Diver upon completion and will then have the same depth restriction as any other adult recreational diver at that point.

So scouts who are 14 years old at SB would tech be limited to a max of 60' while any older scouts would not. I've not yet had the pleasure myself of diving at SB so I am unfamiliar with their dive sites and depth profiles. Maybe someone else can share some experience with you in that regard.

My own personal diving experience in the Key Largo area is that there is a lot of great diving in the 30 to 60 foot range. In my opinion there is a lot for your scouts to do with both shallow to moderate depth sites without needing to be concerned about deeper sites.

Good luck with the SB lottery!

I was first certified to dive at Seabase in 1998 and it was a great time! Just in case Seabase doesn't work out for you though, Sea Camp is a great place and is designed just for youths. I think it would work well with scouts.

Sea Camp

Hi Wheatondiver,

My cousin's venture troop in Chicago went out with Blackbeard's Cruises scout program in the Bahamas and had a blast. He can't stop talking about it- shows slideshows at every family holiday on this laptop!

They had beach bonfires even learned to tie fishing knots (which he shows me every time I see him). His stories and pictures make me want to visit too...

Have a blast no matter where you dive! Wish I could have done that when I was a kid!

I am the Treasurer of our local scout troop. At tonight's committee meeting, it was briefly mentioned about signing up for Sea Base in 2010. I know that PADI has Jr certification up to 15 that limits the depth to 40'. Sea Base minimum age is 14. Does this mean that boys with a Jr. certification will be limited to 40 feet?

PADI standards restrict 10-11 yos to 40'. There are no special depth restrictions for 12-14 yos. However, FSB policy seems to be no deeper than 50' for ANYONE. They will enforce the PADI standard that Jr divers dive with an adult buddy.

Scuba certification requirements depend on the program you select. FSB has 3 different scuba-related adventures. Two (Scuba Adventure and the Liveaboard Adventure) require you to be OW certified before you arrive. The Scuba Certification Adventure IS a PADI OW certification class so it makes no sense to get certified before you attend FSB for that program. As a dive instructor that works with a lot of scout groups, of course I suggest selecting the scuba programs that require certification before you go. But I've heard that the scouts who attend the Scuba Certification Adventure (which involves classroom time at FSB) also have a great time.

I've heard good things about Blackbeard's (liveaboard based in the Bahamas) being scout friendly. However, you'll find liveaboards typically are better suited for more experienced divers.

If you are planning your own scuba related scout trip, please be aware of the scuba guidelines in the Guide to Safe Scouting.

The signup for Florida Sea Base 2010, if done like past years, is via an online lottery that will typically be open 15 Jan - 15 Feb 09.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom