Sea and Sea YS-50: Connection to Panasonic FS5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nickfozzie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, i have just bought Sea & Sea YS-50 strobe, how can i make this work with my panasonic FS5?

Nick,

I'm going to move this to a more helpful section of the Board, dedicated to that type of question. But, I might as well try to be helpful myself: does your camera have a flash built in, and does the flash work inside of your housing?

Did the strobe come with a cable or cord of some kind?

Often, strobes are triggered "fiber optically," sending a little bit of your camera's flash through a tiny cable to the strobe. That cable is usually attached to the camera housing with some tape or velcro with a hole in it, over the flash in your camera. Check that out and get back to us about what the camera and strobe came with, and I'm sure we'll have you up and running in no time!

Nick,
The YS-50 has a hard wire cable for true TTL. Unless your housing has a hard wire port along with a hot shoe mount on your camera (it does not) you cannot use that method. The Sea & Sea strobes have a pretty standard size fiber optic plug that fits into the front or bottom of the strobe head. Not sure if the YS-50 has that capability. If it does the cable with that plug probably did not come with your strobe and is a fairly expensive item but you need it if the strobe head can accommodate it.

Below are two cables with a Sea & Sea size plug. The one to your left (looking at the screen) is a generic one that came with my YS-27DX that I purchased off eBay. The one on the right is from an older Sea & Sea strobe (I think).
sea_sea_connectors.jpg

Once you have the fiber optic cable with the proper Sea & Sea size plug you then need to create a method of attaching the other end, which may be just a cable end, to your housing. I did this with a right angle section of plastic and a piece of Velcro as shown on my website LINK.

If you can find an inexpensive piece of fiber optic cable you may be able to find a small rubber type plug that will tightly fit into the strobe head. All you would need to do is shave off a small portion of the fiber optic cable insulation so that it is exposed inside the female socket on the strobe head when the male plug is in it in order for the camera's flash to fire the Sea & Sea strobe. Light traveling through a fiber optic cable is a simple process.

You may want to read this DAN article re your strobe if manufactured prior to Feb. 1998 due to a battery cap issue LINK.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom