sea and sea vs Go Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
hi, would someone comment on quality and comparison of sea and sea verses go pro for video work.

I might be mistaken but I don't think Sea & Sea makes a camera. I think they make lights and housings for other cameras (like nikon, sony, canon etc). Are you perhaps thinking of sealife rather than Sea & Sea?

I believe Dave is asking about the Sealife cameras but I might be wrong. The Sea & Sea are housing only...
DC2000 Camera | Sealife Cameras

Dave, To help where are you diving and what are you planning to capture? What are your expectations? I've heard good things about the SeaLife camera, but never used one.

I might be mistaken but I don't think Sea & Sea makes a camera. I think they make lights and housings for other cameras (like nikon, sony, canon etc). Are you perhaps thinking of sealife rather than Sea & Sea?

Duh, yes sealife, I had a sea and sea long ago, I like to do vid of coral and small stuff on reefs

I believe Dave is asking about the Sealife cameras but I might be wrong. The Sea & Sea are housing only...
DC2000 Camera | Sealife Cameras

Dave, To help where are you diving and what are you planning to capture? What are your expectations? I've heard good things about the SeaLife camera, but never used one.

yes I was mistaken, I mean sealife. I dive on warm water reefs and planning a dive to Raja Ampat and Lembeh Straits. Mostly life around the reef big and small. I'd get all the macro doo dads and filters for the go pro. I"ve seen go pro vids and really like them. I cant get a strait answer if I can get good stills using the software. I've never seen sealife pics or vid other then in magazines.

Well, in a few weeks Ill be able to tell you! I dive with a Hero4. Wife will be using a SeaLife in two weeks.

I dont do stills with the GoPro, no macro gear etc, but do occasionally snag a frame that I like. Having seen some of the SeaLife still shots I anticipate it blowing the GoPro out of the water (sorry, couldnt help myself) in my use cases. I did try at one point but framing a shot with the GoPro with my case (has the foam center strip so I cant use the viewfinder) was tough. I went to video all the time.

I do like the form factor of the GoPro. I mask mount and stick mount and usually have enough battery and card that I just turn it on when I get in the water and off when I get out.

If you do go the GoPro route make sure you get a red filter.

Completely different beasts if you are looking at the DC2000. The micro from Sealife might be a better comparison. The DC2000 is quite nice as a camera and shoots fine video. The quality of the lens/sensor is much superior (in my view) than the gopro. For wide angle scenes the go pro is great, it really is small and makes very nice video but screen caps from it are not terribly good.

Cheers

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom