SEA and SEA MotoMarine Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

patamus

Reaction score
Howdy guys. Does anyone have any experience with the MOTO Marine 2 and 2x and the YS-50 and 60 Strobes. We I have had quite a hard time with these. I have done underwater Photography casually for about 4 year and only had 1 problem with the equipement(MX-10 Set Up). However I bought a couple of used Moto Marine Rigs Off EBay and I have already flooded the Camera and Strobe(Seperate Incidents). The Strobe was Actually a refurb. from Sea and SEA so I don't think the strobe was defective. And the camera my have been had problems prior to my use. I have tried to be diligent about cleaning and lubricating the O' Rings and Washing the camera off after every use but Still I have these problems. I think the conditions I dive in could be part of the problem. Many Shore and Kayak Dives in semi-Rugged Conditions. I have read 3 Sea And Sea Books and have tried to follow the info contained in them as well. But does anyone have any other ideas or tips. Thanks Pat:confused:

patamus:
Howdy guys. Does anyone have any experience with the MOTO Marine 2 and 2x and the YS-50 and 60 Strobes. We I have had quite a hard time with these. I have done underwater Photography casually for about 4 year and only had 1 problem with the equipement(MX-10 Set Up). However I bought a couple of used Moto Marine Rigs Off EBay and I have already flooded the Camera and Strobe(Seperate Incidents). The Strobe was Actually a refurb. from Sea and SEA so I don't think the strobe was defective. And the camera my have been had problems prior to my use. I have tried to be diligent about cleaning and lubricating the O' Rings and Washing the camera off after every use but Still I have these problems. I think the conditions I dive in could be part of the problem. Many Shore and Kayak Dives in semi-Rugged Conditions. I have read 3 Sea And Sea Books and have tried to follow the info contained in them as well. But does anyone have any other ideas or tips. Thanks Pat:confused:

I shot the MMIIex for years with the YS60. I still have two of them and 2 YS60's. Is your problem the floods, or the pictures?

I quess my message is a little vague I was asking about care and maintence of these camera's to avoid flooding and other damage.

Care and maintenance isn't really camera specific so looking through other threads on how to treat your gear will be very helpful.

Essentially the orings and grooves are the most important. It is important to check them slowly & carefully in good light and eliminate any and all debris that may be on/in them. Your orings must be free of nicks, scratches, indentations and other imperfections. If they aren't, toss them and get a new set.

Oring grease is not going to help with the seal. It is to keep the orings moist and flexible. Don't use too much as you don't want gobs of it, just a shiny sheen on the oring.

I check my kit like this:
- initial visual check
- initial tactile (touch) check
- lube as necessary
- second visual check
- second tactile check
- seat the oring properly
- third visual check
- third tactile check
- prepare to close the housing
- visual check as I'm closing to make sure no floatie landed on it
- seal housing
- visual check for protruding oring and/or hair/debris

Then I go to the dive...before I hit the water:
- visual check of all oring seals

In the water before decent:
- visual check of all seals

On decent:
- visual check of all seals

I've caught problems at all stages except once I'm actually in the water - the checks I do before this have, so far, eliminated problems at those stages.

Care is warm fresh water soak and rinse. Dry it off so no salt/hard water crystals form. Easy.

sounds pretty involved. and I thought I was being fairly involved.

Takes only a few seconds, really. I can go from completely disassembled to assembled and out the door in well under five minutes, including two strobes :wink: It's practice and "getting your eye in" for what to look for.

I agree with Alcina. Check, check & re-check. Once you get used to it it does not take long. I used the MMII with dual YS60 strobes. From loading film, batteries, and checking o-rings it would take me no more than 10 minutes start to finish.

It's the time you don't check that you pay the price. I changed lens and port between dives a couple months ago. I went from wide angle to macro due to the location. I was all geared up at the back of the boat waiting for the boat to re-position for the drop. I made the decision last minute and just made a quick change without checking the o-ring on the port.

2 cat hairs cost me a D200 & a 105mm lens.

Take the time, tripple check, and dive happy.

patamus:
I quess my message is a little vague I was asking about care and maintence of these camera's to avoid flooding and other damage.

I have a MM II EX with YS 50 strobe that I shot since(bought new) in '95....Neither one has ever come close to flooding.....I always had 2 seperate Orings, would store the camera with one & use the 2nd one for taking UW pictures only......IMO, a very rugged camera & strobe with very little extra care needed, probably shot +/- 200 rolls of film with it in the past.......

IMO, for ~ $400, you can correct any problems your present setup has ie go digital..Recently went to a Canon 570 & am getting about 6 to 8X better(more) quality shots than the S&S did.....No way I would ever take my S&S down & assemble it again( & have had some oics with it in the past---learned my lesson, modern technology is better than old technology......lol)..

Back
Top Bottom