sea and sea 8000 wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am getting ready to purchase the wide angle lens for the sea and sea 8000 camera. Does anyone have any opinion on this lens.

btt

Still waiting anybody out there or should i change the thread to boycott(lol)

I bought one. It's okay, some distortion in the corners that I touch up with Photoshop. See my photos on my scuba page. The Cozumel section has a photo of my camera setup.

Edit: It's nice that you can remove & replace the lens underwater. Beware: the lens does not attach securely to the camera or the lens caddy. The lens attaches securely enough for photographs, but you cannot swim around without keeping hold of the lens. It will fall off.

Doc Harry:
I bought one. It's okay, some distortion in the corners that I touch up with Photoshop. See my photos on my scuba page. The Cozumel section has a photo of my camera setup.

Edit: It's nice that you can remove & replace the lens underwater. Beware: the lens does not attach securely to the camera or the lens caddy. The lens attaches securely enough for photographs, but you cannot swim around without keeping hold of the lens. It will fall off.

Actually the lense does stay on quite securely, you need to turn it until it "clicks" into place. When I first tried putting it on it was loose also and I was thinking "How stupid is this", but then I realized you need to turn it until it clicks into place. You are good to go then and it won't fall off.

Same thing when putting it on the holder.

Hope this helps you since you obviously have had issues with it.

I tethered mine with a couple of zip ties to my bracket for extra security.

I recommend that you buy it. The ease of composing shots is worth every penny. I'd never get a good shot of reef sharks without one.

rjsimp:
Actually the lense does stay on quite securely, you need to turn it until it "clicks" into place. When I first tried putting it on it was loose also and I was thinking "How stupid is this", but then I realized you need to turn it until it clicks into place. You are good to go then and it won't fall off.

Same thing when putting it on the holder.

Hope this helps you since you obviously have had issues with it.

I'll have to take another look at it, thanks. Certainly seemed pretty stupid to attach a lens so loosely!!

My lens caddy fell off once, along with the lens. It was attached to the strobe arm with a velcro strap that comes with the caddy. I jumped off the boat and someone handed me my camera. I caught some motion out of the corner of my eye and saw my wide-angle lens and caddy streaking for the coral 60 feet below. I kicked like hell for the bottom and caught the lens a few feet from shattering on the coral.

Now I attach the lens caddy to the strobe arm with a hose clamp.

Doc Harry,

Yea, the velcro isn't all that secure and can easily come off. Didn't think about using a hose clamp, but that would work good.

BTW, the click to lock the lense into place was pretty stiff the first few times on my camera and holder. After putting it on a few times, it got a little easier and under water you want to make sure it locked. I always check it by lightly turning it the opposite way to make sure it won't turn easily and then I know I have it locked even under water.

If you look at the lense though, you will see a little "nub" in there which is what locks it in place.

Once you get that on there, you'll be set along with your hose clamp solution. Then you just have to worry about dropping it yourself in the middle of switching it. Not something I would reccomend over a wall. :D

A wide angle lens will help any small digital camera immeasurably.

Regarding softness or vignetting in the corners of your photos. Try zooming your lens in slightly. That will put your CCD chip within the image frame.

I am so glad I read your posts about the lens caddy velcro strap. I went back and re-attached my new lens caddy with nylon zip cable ties, a la Regulus. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom