ScubaTech boat trip report and pics 5/31/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pufferfish, GlenFWB, Gulf-Gulper, and I went for a ride on the SeaCobra Monday. The weather was iffy - like always - but the seas were 1 to 2 feet so Nancy took us out to dodge the storms and find a dive site. I'll have to leave the statistics of my dive for others to fill in. I was borrowing tanks from Puffer and had to switch regulator set-ups and computer since his tanks were din. I had enough knowledge of his computer to keep myself alive, air in tank - O2 exposure - Nitrogen exposure, but when we tried to get the thing to tell us more after the dive even Puffer couldn't get the thing to talk :D . Our first dive landed us on Labor Day Rock, a new place for me. It was a round outcropping with small cracks running through it. The water was dark and a little churned up. Nancy said the current had been ripping the day before and it changed direction on Monday. While on the dive the viz dropped from a cloudy 20' to more like 10' with more sand stirred up. I had to fight the camera to get it to focus on anything - I had the aperture wide open and shutter speed long. I even increased the ISO just to get some OK shots. There were lots of happy angel fish along with sheephead and even some amberjack came by. The outcropping has lots of ledges and cracks for critters to hide in and makes for great exploration. When my time came to head back to the boat I made a nice slow ascent. Back on board I was looking at my computer with Puffer when I felt a rumble in my stomach - a quick move to the back of the boat and up came the Gatorade I drank on the way out to the site. I felt better but not good enough for our second dive at Shore Line Reef. The report was that viz was even worse there, but I'll let others tell that part of the story. We got back to land and after turning in my regs for service we went to Puffer's place for some meal and chat.

Some bad news to report was we learned that Mako (Carla's dog) was having some severe health problems. We also heard that Steve was having some issues too. While we were out on the boat, Nancy got the news about the expanded ban on fishing due to the oil - not a happy day at ScubaTech.

ldr8.jpg

ldr3.jpg

ldr1.jpg

ldr10.jpg

ldr7.jpg

ldr6.jpg

ldr11.jpg

ldr9.jpg

ldr2.jpg

ldr5.jpg

ldr4.jpg

Last edited:
Great report and pics Yoda..Hope you kept Glen in line :D

Great report! Thanks

The only line I stayed in was the line running from the boat to the reef.:D
I will download my pictures tonight and try and post some later. Like Yoda said, the only shots worth keeping were the macro shots. The water was pretty nasty.

Great report and pics Yoda..Hope you kept Glen in line :D

Thanks for the report and photos.

Thanks for the report Yoda... will get information on your dive later...

Ok, and a couple pictures... but nice work with the bad vis.

So, to show just how dark and low vis it was, I took a picture of a toad fish... which I only do in really bad conditions:

toadfish1000.JPG

This one is for Yoda... the things were everywhere down there....

nudi1001.JPG

Anyone want to guess what the strange little black spots are in this pictures... here is a hint.. in over 10,000 pictures off of the northern gulf coast, never have I gotten little black spots in the picture until yesterday...

Last edited:
I managed to score two shovelnose and a flounder while taking pictures....so my picture time was a bit shortened.

grouper10001.JPG

Back
Top Bottom