Scubapro/Uwatec computer error codes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HalcyonDaze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Trying to figure out if my Aladin Prime is borked. Dropped it off the boat today in about 30 ft of water without seeing it happen, luckily managed to remember about when it happened, fortunately it was right about when we were making a turn to pick up a crab pot buoy and the nav tracker recorded it, went back to the spot, and I found the computer on the bottom after less than five minutes of searching from the surface.

However, I was freediving and after grabbing it off the bottom I shot to the surface; if it was active it probably assumed I had been diving at 30 ft for several minutes and then made a ballistic ascent. I got a screen I didn't quite recognize and (I think) after trying to turn it off and turn it back on I got an "E20" code and then nothing. All the manual tells you is that E3 and E6 are battery codes and everything else requires you to take it to an authorized dealer.

Haven't found a list of code meanings online; even if I still have to take it in it would be nice to know if the computer just thinks I died of a massive embolism or if it took a hard knock hitting the transom on the way down. Granted I'm starting to get a bit envious of everyone running about with their Shearwaters, but this little workhorse has served me well for about ten years and ~700 dives.

Hi
After waiting for a few days (maybe already done),
try to remove and replace the battery.

Hi
After waiting for a few days (maybe already done),
try to remove and replace the battery.

Tried doing that the night after, couldn't get it to fire up at all. Going to rate it as "probably deceased."

On the plus side, I found someone who was selling off a lightly used Petrel 2 for $550, so I guess it's time to drink the Kool-Aid. If I decide to take the Aladin into my local SP dealer and it's fixable for a reasonable price, I guess I can make it a backup.

Tried doing that the night after, couldn't get it to fire up at all. Going to rate it as "probably deceased."

On the plus side, I found someone who was selling off a lightly used Petrel 2 for $550, so I guess it's time to drink the Kool-Aid. If I decide to take the Aladin into my local SP dealer and it's fixable for a reasonable price, I guess I can make it a backup.

www,divewatchdoctor.com can probably fix it for a lot less.

www,divewatchdoctor.com can probably fix it for a lot less.

I'll keep that in mind, but I dive for work (that was a work trip that my Aladin went overboard on) and need to have something at the ready. I've already paid for the Petrel 2 and hope to get it this week; if the Aladin is fixable I can use that as a backup down the road.

I'll keep that in mind, but I dive for work (that was a work trip that my Aladin went overboard on) and need to have something at the ready. I've already paid for the Petrel 2 and hope to get it this week; if the Aladin is fixable I can use that as a backup down the road.
A lot less than sending it to Scubapro. @DIVEWATCHDOCTOR can probably help here. Not comparing to the Shearwater... :wink:

HalcyonDaze,

I don't know either what Error code "E20" means (full disclosure, an Uwatec Prime has been my trustworthy backup computer for the last 12 years). Having said that, I see two scenarios for your Aladin Prime:

1. After sitting for I don't know how much time at 30 feet of water your Prime expected you to do a mandatory deco stop which, for comprehensible reasons, you opted to ignore shooting to the surface. Likely the Prime responded going into SOS or "lock" mode preventing you to dive for the next 48 hours. If this was the case the "lock" condition should have disappeared after 48 hours.

2. If after 48 hours you still can not turn the computer on, I would open the battery compartment, remove the old battery (which will cause a hard reset on the computer), check for any water leakage, install a fresh battery and see if the computer re-starts.

This is what I would do if you had sent the computer our way. Please let us know what happened.

Arturo
Divewatchdoctor

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It could also have taken a hard hit on the way down; there's a small but distinct gouge in the plastic around the face that I don't remember from before and I noticed when I recovered it one of the buttons was popped halfway out. It was probably down there less than 20 minutes.

More than a hit on the way down (an particularly for the button popped halfway out), I tend to believe that some kind of marine life noticed the computer on its way down or sitting on the floor and gave it a good bite or two to check if was something edible. Of course, this is pure speculation and that does not help in bringing your computer back to life.

More than a hit on the way down (an particularly for the button popped halfway out), I tend to believe that some kind of marine life noticed the computer on its way down or sitting on the floor and gave it a good bite or two to check if was something edible. Of course, this is pure speculation and that does not help in bringing your computer back to life.

I doubt that. Looks more like what I would expect from a ~1 m drop and hitting something with a relatively blunt hard edge like a trim tab or the edge of the outboard mount.

Tried putting a new battery in, but as I was playing with it I noticed a few large drops of fluid inside the LCD screen. Good guess that when the button popped loose saltwater got into the unit - sayonara. On the plus side, after a few hops with my Petrel 2 I'm getting the hype over those units.

Back
Top Bottom