ScubaPro Twin Jet Fin sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slimchady

Registered
Reaction score
Hi...

I am new to the forum and relativley new to diving. I am in the process of purchasing a pair of ScubaPro Twin Jet Fins online, but was wondering about the sizing.

I am a US mens size 10 and have 5mm booties. From anyone's experience, do you think I am better off with a Medium (8-10) or a Large (9-12).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
-slim

get the large.... they will feel like dishrags on your feet but that won't be because they are too loose... it is a function of the way the fin works... (not well IMO but that is another story.)

Originally posted by slimchady
dishrags?
Thanks for your input...
Well I bought a pair just so that I could comment intelligently...
And I tried them out for a while on various dives....
And the best description that I can give is *dishrags*...

While they did move me through the water using a small flutter kick they did not do so with authority and they felt very floppy...

They did not give the precise control nor power that I had with my Jet Fins (the old $70 black ones)...

It was very difficult to power myself back up onto the swim step of the boat and they were snaggy in the kelp...

Just too much frenetic pumpin' ~n~ kickin' to get anywhere...
Plus they blow out the bottom if you get too close and fin with any vigor....

Well.... I sold them (cheap enough that I could have a clear conscience) to a newbie friend who was afraid of leg cramps and wanted some dishrags anyway.... and he really liked them for a while... great fin for rototilling and he was going for his trenching cert.

Anyway... all was good until one day I took him out boat diving in a moderate (<1 knot) current and he couldn't make it back to the boat....

Shoot.... I see refund comin' here...

Well he had trouble getting onto the swim step anyway with them... so he decided he wanted to try my old Jets... and since I had just gone to Turtles I let him take my babies out for a spin....

Sure enough he wanted to buy them too.... now these had sentimental value to me... my very first pair of fins.... and just as ugly as when new... but now sportin' genuine Uncle Pug spring straps.... it broke my heart but I sold them to him...

But now he has a pair of dishrags he doesn't use... do you want me to ask him if he is willing to sell them? Or do you want to just skip that step and get some Jet Fins?

Thanks for the explanation...very informative and entertaining. I am already locked into the fins that I bought ($125 on Ebay - brand new w/ warranty), but thanks for the offer.

I have read enough on these fins to feel comfortable with the purchase, especially for that price. But I will definitely keep your advice in mind if I ever get that *dishrag* kinda feel while using them.

My only real concern was the sizing, but I will go with a large per your advice.

Thanks again.
-slim

Welcome,Slim,
I'd suggest the large size as well-I wear size 8 men's shoes (wide), wear thick soled booties, and the"large" fit very well.

Perhaps I missed it in your post, but are you getting the black or the gray split fins -there is a difference in feel. (I have the black, but I borrowed a pair of the gray for 2 dives-I prefer the feel of the black-more firm.
Let us know whatyou do,
good luck,
Mike

Get size LARGE. I wear shoe size 9 and 6mm booties and didn't fit in the MEDIUM SP Twin Jets fins that was purchased from Diveinn. I had them sent back and exchanged for size large.

BTW, Diveinn picked up the tab for all the shipping back & forth. What a great customer service!!!

Thank you all for the comments. I am getting a black pair (forgot to mention). Will let you know how they work out.

-slim

P.S. Going to Hawaii...!

Originally posted by slimchady
Thank you all for the comments. I am getting a black pair (forgot to mention). Will let you know how they work out.
P.S. Going to Hawaii...!
Good, the ones that I call dishrags are the grey ones... the black ones are supposed to be stiffer....

Have fun in Hawaii... where are you going to dive???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom