Scubapro Tec g3 any good for rec diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I found an OK deal on this computer. The guy wants $150 for it. Is this computer pretty good for rec diving. I may occasionally use my nitrox but not any other gas. Do you think this computer is too advanced and not very user-friendly? Or would you recommend it?
0476F863-D7BF-48CE-B07E-DB9A23F1D992.jpeg

I have one of these and I bought it new to wear as a backup to my G2. It uses similar algorithm and options as the Galileo but the menus are less intuitive and you do need to keep the manual handy. I took the plastic screen protector off and replaced with a Zagg screen film screen protector for better readability, similar to what comes with the G2. And yes it's fine for rec diving. It uses a nice big lithium battery and has an option of push on/off for the backlight for night diving. I believe this style of dive computer was first made by Subgear.

To connect to a PC you need the infrared to USB dongle and you may have to tweak some settings in Windows 10 to get it to connect.

I have the Subgear XP3G, which is a clone of the Tec3G. It offers dive computer mode with 21%/Nitrox and gauge mode. However, it is not very intuitive to use. Be ready to study and revisit the owner's manual...

O.

PS. I would verify all the functions. I bought a used Tec3G some years ago and the reset timer function did not work. Scubapro said the unit required replacement as it was not repairable.

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up holding off on it. I would much rather have something easier to use especially if I put it away for a few weeks. Right now I am using a zoop watch and a genesis computer in my console.

Personally if I were buying a dive computer at this point I would make sure it can connect with Bluetooth as it's really handy for use with a phone or iPad. The IR interface although it works fine is considered dated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom