Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's just the divers in my area, but it seems I always see people in novas kicking up the bottom without ever realizing it... Anyone else seen that a lot with these?

I think you can kick up silt with any fin, but its easier with the hinged-fin style.
It a double edged sword design.
It takes very little effort to propel through water, so you don't really feel the force you're creating and therefore don't realize you're kicking up silt.

I am very careful not to kick up silt (don't want to be that guy), so when I got the fins I'd look back to see what kick-force created what amount of silt.
I noticed that even about three meters of the sand bend I could kick up silt with a strong enough kick.

You can do anything in Novas if you want

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

When I'm being surged and swelled 3 inches above what I'm above
I may brush it with my shirt, or suit somewhere around the midriff

My fins generally do not contact anything, I use these fins like sails
unless I am smashing and bashing through somewhere like wrecks

Scubapor actually got this one right

And remember, the fish a 30m swim away, may be a different fish
but the one at 3m will look behave and give you the same pleasure

I use Nova Gorilla fins when teaching as I can quickly catch "escapees" but use Apex RK3 HD for tech and drysuit diving.
Horses for courses & personal preference when it comes to fins in my humble opinion.:)

You can do anything in Novas if you want

When I'm being surged and swelled 3 inches above what I'm above
I may brush it with my shirt, or suit somewhere around the midriff

My fins generally do not contact anything, I use these fins like sails
unless I am smashing and bashing through somewhere like wrecks

Scubapor actually got this one right

And remember, the fish a 30m swim away, may be a different fish
but the one at 3m will look behave and give you the same pleasure

I wore my sea wing novas for a few dives last week
I found them to be very easy on my muscles and you are propelled
very smooth - takes little effort

but in strong current, you'd need to fin more
its not a problem - it is as such by design

also, backing up and frog kicking can be done but its sloppy and inefficient

I use Nova Gorilla fins when teaching as I can quickly catch "escapees"...

I had to chase down two AOW students who were using the Nova’s while I was in my Jet fins. They gave the sign they were cold (they were in 7mm and I a drysuit - in 42 degree water) and started heading, in what they believed the correct direction, to the exit point. Instead, they went out towards the deeper part of the lake. We were at a depth of about 50 feet. After a long fast chase I caught them and was extremely winded. I thought I would out breathe my reg, but it didn’t happen, thankfully.

I have some sea-wing novas, and so far I love them. They're great for simple kicks. Only downside is I got the closed-heel (no dive-boots is annoying) and I'm having trouble with frog & reverse kick. I'll probably video myself soon so I can better diagnose. I'm certain lack of skill contributes (a lot), but I slightly suspect the flex of the fin is contributing.

Would the Seawing Nova Gorilla do a much better job for Frog & Reverse kick? Is there another fin I should look at? I'm getting into side-mount if that has any influence on answers.

The Avanti Quattro is another one I'm considering, which has good reviews and there's a bunch of inexpensive used ones on the market.

I have some sea-wing novas, and so far I love them. They're great for simple kicks. Only downside is I got the closed-heel (no dive-boots is annoying) and I'm having trouble with frog & reverse kick. I'll probably video myself soon so I can better diagnose. I'm certain lack of skill contributes (a lot), but I slightly suspect the flex of the fin is contributing.

Would the Seawing Nova Gorilla do a much better job for Frog & Reverse kick? Is there another fin I should look at? I'm getting into side-mount if that has any influence on answers.

The Avanti Quattro is another one I'm considering, which has good reviews and there's a bunch of inexpensive used ones on the market.

I had a pair of seawing nova
You can reverse kick - the same way you would on a rigid fin
But you need to expel much more force to actually start moving backwards

Maybe it's just the divers in my area, but it seems I always see people in novas kicking up the bottom without ever realizing it... Anyone else seen that a lot with these?
Poor skills.

The Nova's not very good for frog kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom